Monday, November 18, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading?



It's Monday! What are you reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys. Jen Vincent over at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye from Unleashing Readers decided to put a children's and YA spin on it and they invite anyone with an interest to join in. You can participate by creating your post then visit one of their sites to add your site. Finally, visit at least three participant blogs and comment to spread the love.

If you want to know more about what I am reading, visit me at my Goodreads shelf. Images via Goodreads unless otherwise noted.

I am in the midst of #NaNoWriMo and have been at an educational conference for four straight days so my reading was minimal this week.

The Past Week
Picture Books


This was an interesting book because it is told from the perspective of a young girl and her family is transient. They are called travelers because in the summer they go from place to place as her father seeks work. The author shows that some family members value that and overall the book affirms this lifestyle.

Middle Grade


I bet that Jeffrey Brown was not going for the term "adorable" when he wrote this, but that is actually what he managed. This is essentially a published fanfic and it will be a winner with elementary students. I will post a more thorough review later this week.

Young Adult


I guess I should have read the blurb more carefully - or maybe I didn't even read it, but this was not what I expected. The book is narrated by a gay man or men who lived in times when AIDS was just beginning to gain national attention. The narration is bittersweet as he is unable to step in and do anything. The narrator is a spectator as two boys try to break the world's record for kissing, several other couples work through their relationship issues, and one young man flounders in depression. It was a powerful book. I just didn't realize it would be from an adult perspective.

Professional


For one of the conferences I attended this week, this was the text. I found many helpful bits of information here, but I also appreciated the reminders of classroom procedures and protocols that I have used in the past that are great for student responses and interactions within the classroom. The conference and book both got us thinking about culturally responsive practices and I am excited to do some re-decorating, try new things in the classroom, and begin to have more discussions about culture with our staff.

The Coming Week:
I really have no idea what I will be reading. I have two different piles of books from the library and several books as digital ARCs, but I am behind on my #NaNoWriMo and will have to kick it into gear to get caught up so I am not sure how much reading time I will have this week. What will you be reading?

6 comments:

  1. I actually abandoned TWO BOYS KISSING on audio but I'm going to try reading it before I give up on it entirely. The POV and style of narration just had me totally confused by listening to it.

    I really need to read JEDI ACADEMY! I loved DARTH VADER AND SON. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand the abandoning. I was a bit put off by the format at first. I could see it being confusing on audio. I liked Darth Vader and Vader's Little Princess was fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there Crystal, thank you for sharing this professional development book. I am currently crafting a course for higher degree students on The Use of Multicultural Children's Books to promote socio-emotional learning - I have a feeling the book you shared would come in handy. I shall have to find that one. I have a copy of Two Boys Kissing but haven't read it yet. I'm intrigued! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciated the book and the learning, just be careful if you use the bibliographies in the back, some of the titles are fantastic, but some are dated and not the best especially in the Native American section.

      Delete
  4. I am hesitant to read Two Boys Kissing because I thought Every Day was SO didactic and I fear this will be more of the same. I will probably get around to it eventually, though, as I have loved some of Levithan's other novels. Also, have you noticed what a trend there is this year of teens kissing or almost kissing on YA novel covers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely different. I thought it seemed more written for adults honestly. The narrator is not a teen and has knowledge that people who were alive in the 80s would have so it is not typical YA. I did like it, but not sure how it will go with teens. I had not noticed the kissing thing, but now that you said it, I am sure I will. :)

      Delete