Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Slice of Life



The Slice of Life Challenge was created by the people over at the blog Two Writing Teachers. The challenge is to write about some part of your day and share it each Tuesday.


Last Monday I went to the library preparing for my final summer checkout. At first I was alone and worried that students wouldn't show up. There were plenty of things to do while I waited like catching up on my email and weeding the non-fiction section. I got busy, but was happy to see students slowly join me. Some used apps on the iPads, some read, and some were on the hunt for great books to check out.

Seeing students in the library enjoying themselves was wonderful, but soon one of the students gave me a special gift. His mother came into the library to pick him up and they were about to go home. He stopped his mother and asked, "Did you know Mrs. Brunelle is an author?" His eyes were enormous and he had a big smile on his face. Then he asked me to tell her how many books I have written. I wrote a simple one last year that featured Pete the Cat in summer vacation pictures. Using Shutterfly it was made into a hardcover book that circulates in our library, but he was also referring to the three novels I wrote for NaNoWriMo.

He remembered from the past school year when I told the students about my crazy month-long writing adventure. I've finished NaNoWriMo three times so I have three complete novels to my name. Just this summer at NerdcampMI, I publicly stated that it has taken a while, but I am beginning to feel like a writer. I'm supported online by mentors and a fantastic writing community.

That young man made my day and my week. He sees me as an author and a writer when I have barely started to claim that role. It was surprising and encouraging. Now I am even more determined to help my students to also see themselves as writers.

20 comments:

  1. Yes! It's moments like this with our students that make all our efforts and obsessions outside of the classroom worthwhile. You are an author! It's lovely to be thought of as a teacher or a mom, and even more so to have someone acknowledge a craft we cultivate, whether it be music, art, dance, or writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal,
    Isn't it great to see yourself literally through someone else's eyes! Celebrate being an author! It's incredibly hard work and so rewarding to have students remember and share that belief as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is nice to get a glimpse of how others see us. :)

      Delete
  3. Bravo, Writer. I have two finished somethings from NANOWriMo. Loved that experience but yes, to add writer to the list of identities is such an ahha!!!! Welcome, finally :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! I am still a bit tentative about it, but am able to claim that identity.

      Delete
  4. Awesome post! I love that you have some of your own writing available for students to check out in your library. Sometimes we have to rely on others to teach us things about ourselves that we can't see on our own. Celebrate!

    Jennifer
    Sweet Writing Life
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that "we have to rely on others to teach us things about ourselves..." Thanks!

      Delete
  5. It is funny isn't it? that some of us need to giver ourselves permission to claim the role "author" or "writer" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it seems that I might be stepping over some boundary or being too bold to say I'm an author or writer, but I'm feeling more and more comfortable with the title.

      Delete
  6. Isn't it lovely when they see the person we are striving to be! I bet you stand a little taller these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I felt like the Grinch as his heart was getting bigger. I was sitting so I sat taller. :)

      Delete
  7. It's very special that he wanted to tell his mother about you, Crystal. I imagine he's modeling some of the things you do too. Your relationships with students shines through in this story, too. What a compliment he gave you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet and encouraging experience. Feel good and keep writing, author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terje! I will hurry off and write. :)

      Delete
  9. Children have the ability to see what we do not! What a treasured gift! Hold on to that one :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be a memory that stays with me for a long time and he's a third grader so he will be around for a good while too.

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful gift for you and him - he can see the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibilities are what I want to see in my students and reflect to them too. It feels good to be on the receiving end of that.

      Delete