Monday, June 16, 2014

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys. Jen Vincent over at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye from Unleashing Readers decided to put a children's and YA spin on it and they invite anyone with an interest to join in. You can participate by creating your post then visit one of their sites to add your site. Finally, visit at least three participant blogs and comment to spread the love.

If you want to know more about what I am reading, visit me at my Goodreads shelfImages via Goodreads unless otherwise noted.

The Past Week:


I reviewed several of these for my Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge post on Wednesday. I really enjoyed the nonfiction picture books that I have been reading. I bought a lot of biographies about women right before school ended and I am making my way through many of them. It's fun to learn about so many women who pushed beyond what was expected of them.

I will review Landline a bit later, but did enjoy it. Maggot Moon was for the Printz Challenge and wasn't one of my favorites. Kendra was another good one from Coe Booth. All in all it was a good week for reading. My summer break started this week and I am looking forward to more and more reading. 

The Coming Week:

I'm about half way through The Ropemaker which is another one for the Printz Challenge. After that one I will only have 25 remaining. I have also started The Red Pencil. After those are finished, I have an entire box of books that I brought home from school that I will begin to tackle. You should see the smile on my face as I think about it. Have a wonderful week of reading!

17 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read Landline... :) So many great books to add to my TBR pile, thank you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Landline is kind of an adult/ya hybrid. It seems people are eager for it, but there have been mixed reviews.

      Delete
  2. I definitely want to read Landline! I have Maggot Moon from the library, but maybe I will return it. There is so much to read that I don't want to spend time on ones that people didn't love! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might enjoy it. It was just one of those books that was an uncomfortable read even while I appreciated the writing. I still gave it 3/5 stars on Goodreads, but there are other Printz books I have liked a lot more.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to read Landline. I loved both Eleanor and Park and Fangirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more grown up, but still has a ya feel. :)

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to get Landline... soon! It's nice that we have some time to do some adult reading over the summer too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I love that there is time for more variety in the summer.

      Delete
  5. Me, too-Landline. Will look for your review, Crystal. I've read some of the picture books, & will look for the others. The Noisy Paint Box is one to pair with others about people who "hear" or "see" colors in their lives-synthesia is interesting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Frida! Going to have to check out Landline.
    Mrs. Brown Loves Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like some wonderful books you've read recently. Will have to look for them for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad to see you like NOISY PAINTBOX. Everyone seems to be raving about it. I just placed a hold through my library, so thank you for giving me a kick in the butt. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excited for Landline. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Have a great week ~Megan
    http://wp.me/pzUn5-22q

    ReplyDelete
  10. You read two biographies I really loved: Noisy Paint Box & Flying Solo. Both SO good!
    Thank you for sharing the other books. I want to read the new Rowell, the Booth you mentioned, and Maggot Moon.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked Maggot Moon even though I found it so so disturbing. I still thought it had much to say. Love the look of many of the picture books you featured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty conflicted with Maggot Moon. I think disturbing is a good word to use. I still liked it, but it wasn't a five star Printz for me. I appreciated the writing and the themes, but struggled with the reading even though I basically read it in one sitting.

      Delete
  12. Hi there Crystal. A box of books waiting to be read is enough to bring a smile to my face too. Sounds truly wonderful. I'm looking forward to reading Maggot Moon soon - haven't had a chance to read it yet. Fats, one of the GatheringBooks ladies, reviewed it and enjoyed it. I own a copy of Different Like Coco, pretty interesting read. Thanks for sharing all these lovely titles.

    ReplyDelete