Monday, February 15, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you go to my Storygraph account, you can see what I have read recently & click on the books to learn more.

Last Week in Books:
Picture Books
covers of the books listed below

Via Netgalley, I read the ARC of Yang Warriors which is an excellent memoir picture book by Kao Kalia Yang. Me & Mama got a Caldecott Honor & CSK Honor and is just really lovely. Way Past Worried deals well with the social anxiety of attending a party. The Suitcase brings tears to my eyes each time I read it. The author reads it here. Do Not Lick This Book gets up close and personal with germs. Nice for these times. I think I heard about it on the COVID episode. Sloth Wasn't Sleepy is adorable. Kate Messner reads it here. I saw it and The Suitcase on Linda's post last week. 

Middle Grade
covers from the books listed below

All Thirteen is incredible and it really, really deserved the Newbery Honor that it got. Christina Soontornvat did a phenomenal job sharing about the rescue of the Thai soccer team. Ana on the Edge is a lovely middle grade novel about a young person who is exploring their gender identity. All You Knead is Love was a lovely book about family and baking. It was especially fun because it was happening in Spain. Stepping Stones is a Lucy Knisley graphic novel for young people!!! I love her adult memoir GNs. This one is about the blending of a family. Amari and the Night Brothers was a great fast-paced middle grade fantasy. 
YA
covers of books listed below

Fat Chance, Charlie Vega and A Ph Love Story are two very nice rom-coms. Foreshadow is an anthology of short stories by new authors. So Many Beginnings is an ARC of a Little Women retelling. It is outstanding and made my heart so happy. 


I had already read a book by Marie Kondo, but was glad for this refresher in Spark Joy. It really reminded me of how many things I have done as a result of the first reading. I've created art using meaningful objects. I've stored things in different ways, and have found new ways to enjoy items in my home. It was funny though that I hadn't realized how much the first book influenced me. 

The Coming Week: 
I'm still working on getting through some ARCs and have a lot of them to catch up on so that will be most of my reading. Have a great week!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed that you can read that many books in a week! With my vision issues, I'm lucky to read one MG novel every two weeks. AMARI is on my TBR stack and I'm longing to read it soon, but have other 21ders ARCs to read first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All Thirteen also won a Cybils' award this year. My library has a copy available so I will be picking it up this week to read. Ancestor Approved is on my list and one I am really hoping to read soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All Thirteen is on my list. Even before the awards, there was a lot of talk about this one. I just bought Amari last week and will probably move it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read Me & Mama at the bookstore today. I agree that it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout-out, Crystal. I really did love those books! And now, with your sharing, adding more to my long list, like Ana on the Edge & Yang Warriors. I had a student who was trans & came out early in high school. I wish there had been more books that would have helped her during that time, but at least they're being written now! I also am not familiar with So Many Beginnings, what fun! Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am seeing so much love for Sloth, The Suitcase and All Thirteen (only the latter has been on my list for a while) and I need to get these. Thanks also for the review of Ancestor Approved, a book I have heard a bit about but not actually read a review of yet. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great selection of books! I'm hoping to cram Ana on the Edge into my reading at some point, and All You Knead Is Love sounds excellent as well! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for providing the link to Kate Messner's reading of Sloth Wasn't Sleepy. I really like how she explained the inspiration for the book. This is one we need at my house, for sure. I've also added A Pho Love Story and So Many Beginnings to my TBR list. Thanks for the shares, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete