Monday, February 1, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

#IMWAYR It's Monday! What are you reading? Sharing picture books, early readers, middle grade books, and young adult books for readers of all ages. Hosted by www.unleashingreaders.com and www.teachmentortexts.com. This text is centered over a background of bookshelves.

It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you go to my Storygraph account, you can see what I have read recently & click on the books to learn more.

Last Week in Books:

Root Magic is a wonderful middle grade audiobook I got from Librofm. The family dynamics are wonderful and it is interesting to learn more about root magic and how it's passed from one generation to the next.

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying was a massive book. A friend had recommended it to me when I asked her for books that deal with death and dying. I knew that was something she had read a lot about. Did you know there are even groups who get together and talk about death? There's also an organization called Death Over Dinner that encourages folks to get together to talk about death over dinner. Anyway, the book, and the Death Over Dinner website both indicate that many of us are not going to our deaths in a good way and part of that is because we avoid talking and thinking about it. Lots to think about and to hopefully discuss. 

Real Men Knit was a delight. This is another in my long list of lighthearted romances that I am picking up more often as self care. ;) I liked this one better than many of the rom-coms I've stumbled across the past few months. There are four brothers who inherit their mother's knitting shop and have to figure out what to do with it. The young woman who has worked there for ages has always had a thing for one of the brothers and amusing and sometimes steamy things happen.

Concrete Rose is a prequel to The Hate U Give and shares Mav's story. I love his character in THUG, but even more so after seeing him as a teen. 

The Coming Week: 
I just started reading Love is a Revolution by Renée Watson. I love her writing so much. I'm still reading Foreshadow. That's what I love about short story anthologies. You can pick them up and put them down over and over. I'm also very slowly making my way through the Audre Lorde collection. Next I need to really chip away at the many, many digital ARCs I have. Three are from the new imprint Heartdrum and I am eager to get to them. I had forgotten that they were waiting because I've been reading physical books and haven't opened up Netgalley or Edelweiss for a long time since I had such a huge pile of books on my end-table. This is obviously a good problem to have, but it means that I don't get to choose my reading as much for the next few weeks. I wish you a great week full of fabulous books. 

4 comments:

  1. I just got my hands on Concrete Rose through Overdrive and I can't wait to get started on it. I'm so glad to get to learn more about him very soon. Thanks for sharing, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A part of me has been anxious reading all the "famous" people deaths recently. I've heard of Death Cafes that I think some people find therapeutic to have a place to talk about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great set of books! I'm anxious to read Concrete Rose—it took me a long time to get to Angie Thomas's books, but I'm so glad I did, since she is truly an incredible author! Root Magic sounds excellent as well. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my mother was dying, I read Final Gifts: Understanding the Special Awareness, Needs, and Communications of the Dying by Maggie Callanan & Patricia Kelley. There is some biological information about what happens as people die, but it was the stories of the individual deaths that held my focus. It made understand that we are alive and capable of learning until we die. With this in mind, I read many of these narratives out loud to my mother, hoping she might find comfort seeing how others had managed. AFter her death I went on to read a number of other books about death and dying, but not this The Tibetan Book. I agree that we avoid conversations about death. I think we also avoid conversations of aging.

    ReplyDelete