Monday, February 8, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

#IMWAYR It's Monday! What are you reading? Sharing picture books, early readers, middle grade books, and young adult books for readers of all ages. Hosted by www.unleashingreaders.com and www.teachmentortexts.com. This text is centered over a background of bookshelves.

It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you go to my Storygraph account, you can see what I have read recently & click on the books to learn more.
Last Week in Books:

cover images of six books Oona, I'm On it, How Do You Dance? Papa Brings Me the World, I'm Not a Girl, and Feathered Serpent and the Five Suns.

Oona is an adorable mermaid story. I love the sea otter sidekick. I'm On It is a super cute Elephant & Piggie Presents that features preposition antics. How Do You Dance? is an exploration of some of the many ways that people dance. I used it with my kindergarten classes this past week. We then danced to Silly Dance Contest by Jim Gill and had a fabulous time expressing ourselves.  

Papa Brings Me the World is based on the author's childhood. Papa is a photojournalist so travels all around the world. The daughter misses him, but tracks his trips on a map and he brings gifts back, but she yearns to go along. The story in I'm Not a Girl: A Transgender Story is based on the lived experience of one of the authors. It is feels a little stiff and like a book designed to teach about being trans rather than a storybook. Feathered Serpent and the Five Suns: A Mesoamerican Creation Myth is an interesting tale about the creation of humans and has Tonatiuh's distinctive illustrations. 

Cover images of six books. Uncovering Bias in the News, Swish! The Teachers March, A Bowl Full of Peace, The Power of Style

Uncovering Bias in the News is informative and could be useful in the classroom setting. It's quite timely. Swish! is a fun picture book history of the Harlem Globe Trotters. The Teachers March! is a nonfiction picture book that shares the 1965 Selma Teachers' March. Jumbo: The Making of the Boeing 747 is a very detailed and fascinating book. A Bowl Full of Peace is a heartbreaking book about the bombing of Nagasaki through the eyes of Sachiko Yasui who was featured in a middle grade award winning book a few years ago. This time the story is focused on the beautiful bowl that had belonged to her grandmother and survived the bomb. The Power of Style: How Fashion and Beauty Are Being Used to Reclaim Cultures is a YA nonfiction book that features many young people who are creating and using fashion to express their identities and honor their culture. It's full of amazing photographs and is a feast for the eyes. 

Cover images of three books. Ancestor Approved, Roomies, and Love is a Revolution

I had an ARC of Ancestor Approved. I will write a full review of this middle grade short story collection  later this week, but just know that it is fantastic and is a purchase that I would highly recommend. Roomies is an adult rom-com and was fun, but not anything super remarkable. It reminded me of the movie Green Card from many, many years ago. As I suspected, the YA Love is a Revolution was simply lovely. I always enjoy Watson's work. There are only a few authors that have multiple books on my personal shelves and she is one of them. 

The Coming Week: 
I am trying to catch up with all of the digital ARCs I have on my devices. I got a little carried away with Netgalley and Edelweiss and then there were some books sent that I didn't request, but that did look interesting so I will likely be reading those. I have started Yolk by Choi and Remy Lai's new book, All You Knead is Love. I also have Misfit in Love and Generation Misfits. There are also quite a few audio books that I am excited about, but I'm not sure which one will be next. Have a great week!

7 comments:

  1. The Power of Style: How Fashion and Beauty Are Being Used to Reclaim Cultures looks really intriguing, but I don't know how interested my students would be in it. Sigh. I think Love is a Revolution will be popular-- I need more high school romances that aren't too racy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many to note and love here, Crystal. I have a few on my list, including Love is A Revolution, sure it will be good! Thanks & have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am a hard core fan of Renée Watson. I'm so looking forward to reading it. (My library has it on order and I'm first in line!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so wonderful to hear your thoughts on Love is a Revolution. I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm not familiar with Storygraph. Is this a replacement for Goodreads? How does it compare. Thanks for the shares and I hope you have a wonderful reading week, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storygraph is a similar type of book tracking system. There are a few things I wish it did, but I think they'll keep adding options.

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize there was a new Elephant and Piggie Presents. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great set of books! Ancestor Approved sounds like something I should get read ASAP, and Love is a Revolution sounds great as well! Oona also sounds great! It's a shame that I'm Not a Girl fell flat. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete