Monday, January 25, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

#IMWAYR It's Monday! What are you reading? Sharing picture books, early readers, middle grade books, and young adult books for readers of all ages. Hosted by www.unleashingreaders.com and www.teachmentortexts.com. This text is centered over a background of bookshelves.
It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you go to my Goodreads account, you can see what I have read recently & click on the books to learn more.

Last Week in Books:

Diary of a Tokyo Teen is a travel diary of a Japanese American teen visiting her grandparents. I had read it before, but was wanting to revisit and remember my own Japan trip.

Love Overdue was an adult romance featuring a librarian. Not my favorite, but it was okay. She never once mentioned reading a book. Puzzling. There were also some other things I didn't appreciate, but I kept reading because it was good enough. Not a high recommendation I guess. ;) 

About Grace is an adult novel about a man who has dreams of events before they happen. He ends up fleeing his family to keep something from happening to one of them. His reasoning being that since he is part of the dream when bad things are happening, if he stays away, they can't happen. It was for book club and I enjoyed it for the most part. He was a scientist and I especially liked the snowflake information and references.

Sam Wu is Not Afraid of Ghosts was a humorous early chapter book with plenty of illustrations. 

Lillybelle, a Damsel Not in Distress is a cute picture book about a young girl who is all about having agency and solving her own problems. She is not at all interested in waiting for someone to rescue her. 

The Coming Week: 

I'm still listening to the middle grade Root Magic. I am working my way through the short stories in Foreshadow. It will take ages, but I am also still reading the poetry of Audre Lorde and I am almost finished with The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying. I just picked up my library copy of Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas and will probably get started on that soon. I also bought the newest Renee Watson book, Love is a Revolution, that isn't actually supposed to be on sale yet, but was out at the bookstore. I hope you have a great week! I'm super excited to see which books are honored at the Youth Media Awards. I always enjoy that. :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm a wee bit envious that you have a copy of Concrete Rose already.
    Lillybelle looks like the ideal book for young feminists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these books sound great! I need to get to Concrete Rose soon as well, and congrats on getting a book before it's even released! Thanks for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book about a librarian without the mention of reading a single book? Horrors!! Heehee! I have an audiobook copy of Root Magic that I can't wait to start and I just got Concrete Rose through Overdrive. I hope you enjoy them both, Crystal. Sorry I'm making the comment rounds so late this week -- I suppose I'll be seeing you again in just a few hours. LOL

    ReplyDelete