Monday, May 7, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?

 

It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

Last Week on the Blog:

Last Week in Books:
Mary's Monster was intense and I loved the format. It was a novel with a lot of illustrations so it could be called a graphic novel, but it was not a comic at all. This was a book I will likely revisit. 

Life and I was a unique picture book about death. It would be great for sharing with children or even older readers to engage in discussions around death.

Key Hunters is a new series that happens in a library. Each book in the series will involve a different genre of literature. A librarian at my local library said she thinks it will be a good series to hand to readers who enjoy the Magic Tree House books. I agree.

Belinda the Unbeatable is a fun wordless graphic novel that focuses on friendship and not giving up.

Terrell and Keke's Adventures Through Time: Marching to Victory is one I will review later this week. It's the second book in a time travel series. This one takes place during the Selma to Montgomery march.

The Coming Week: I just started A Good Time for the Truth: Race in Minnesota. It includes an essay by Bao Phi and I had just read one of his books last week. So far it is excellent. I'm also reading the graphic novel The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui. It's also pretty wonderful. I will likely start reading The Way You Make Me Feel (since I'm going to see Maureen Goo this week) and Amal Unbound for a review on Rich in Color soon. I hope you have a great week!


Reading Challenge Updates: 
Goodreads Challenge 2018 - 101/800
Diversity on the Shelf 2018 - 60/300
#MustReadin2018 - 11/30

8 comments:

  1. I'm so so so glad you brought up Mary's Monster. I keep meaning to purchase that one for my husband since he just finished reading Frankenstein, yet again. Hope you have a great reading week, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so intrigued by Mary's Monster. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do get requests from caregivers for books for little ones about death, so I'll have to find a copy of Life and I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am interested in reading Mary's Monster. I read Frankenstein many years ago when I was in my late teens. I remember it being a very sad book. I was listening to an interview on CBC Radio about Mary Shelley and have been considering rereading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Mary's Monster, still need to read it, and I'm sure it's wonderful! Lots of talk about Amal Unbound, so on my list. Thanks, Crystal, I started The Best We Could Do a long time ago & had to return it, still need to get it again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also interested in reading Mary's Monster and Marching to Victory sounds great too. I will have to look up that series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Mary's Monster - I have a review scheduled to be published sometime soon. It was just so beautifully rendered, I thought. Life and I is a favourite of mine. There is a sequel to this book: I am Life which was just published last year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to know about the Key Hunters books. I have a couple of them, but haven't read them yet.

    ReplyDelete