Sunday, May 6, 2018

Celebrate


Ruth Ayres has a link-up on weekends where people link to posts that are celebrations about their week. I love this reminder to celebrate every week and I appreciate the community we have through this link-up.

It's been about a month since I have posted a celebration, but celebrating was still happening. Each week I note a few celebrations almost every day in my notebook. I've been blogging less than usual though. Part of that is because of preparations for my trip next month.

My last post was about my upcoming trip to Korea and Japan. I've been investing a lot of time in learning Korean and reading the history of both countries. This is part of the fun - getting ready for a trip.

Today I'm celebrating the getting ready and the anticipation. One way I've been getting ready is having conversations with Japanese friends about where to go and what to do. We also had some friends over for dinner (I made Korean food) who have a child living in Korea. They told us about their trips there and some travel tips.

There is a small Korean Baptist church in our city. I attended there years ago when my youngest child was taking Korean lessons from one of the members. We would go to church and then stay for a meal and then lessons. It's a very welcoming church and this was an excellent reason to go back and visit. When we went before, I would sing the hymns in English (a few other members do that), but this time, I was able to sing some of the slow ones in Korean. Reading the Hangul (한글) is fun even though I most often don't know what I am saying. It means I can sing along though and read aloud. These are things I enjoy doing. I am happy to be back with such kind people who share food, fellowship and their knowledge.

On a scarier note, I branched out from Korean dramas and watched a movie. Eek! Train to Busan is quite a famous movie and so even though I don't usually watch thrillers or zombie movies, I gave it a try. I started watching it late at night and about half-way through had to stop because my hands were shaking and I was so tense I was uncomfortable. The next afternoon, my husband agreed to watch it so then I was able to make it through. Whew. If you like intense movies with zombies, I would recommend it.

Have a great week!
 

3 comments:

  1. How exciting! I also enjoy the preparation, the studying about a place before we make a trip. I've made several trips to Asia--Japan, China, Thailand. My husband has traveled it more extensively, including NK. And a dear friend's daughter lived in SK and went to school there for a year. Here's to a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about the ways you're preparing for your upcoming trip. Noting celebrations daily in your notebook is a great way to remember celebrations large and small. Anticipating a trip is such fun and combined with your preparations is sure to result in a meaningful visit to both countries. We will look forward to experiencing some of the trip with you via your celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious to know about the books you've read to prepare to visit Korea.

      Delete