Saturday, September 19, 2015

Celebrate!

Discover. Play. Build.

Ruth Ayres has a link-up on weekends where people link to posts that are celebrations about their week. I love this reminder to celebrate every week.

I'm the one waving.
See - it really was beautiful.
 Today was the Mini-Donut Half Marathon in honor of loved ones and in support of suicide awareness in general. I was running and remembering my father who completed suicide in 1997. Running 13.1 miles through peaceful wetlands gives you a lot of time for thinking and remembering. It was sad to realize how long Dad has been gone and all that he has missed. But it was also nice to remember good times. It occurred to me that Dad would probably be surprised that I have run half and full marathons. I know he would be proud of me for finishing them though. The race was a wonderful way to start the day.


When the race was over and I got cleaned up, I headed to the next event - Hmong New Year. I met up with another teacher from my school and we wandered about. The weather was simply gorgeous and seeing students and friends was lovely. The food was also fantastic.

Finally, I also celebrate having some quiet time this evening. I may blog, read, knit and basically relax after spending so much time out and about. Household chores like laundry are waiting, but they will still be there tomorrow, or maybe even the next day. I'm taking Ruth's advice from last week and will "release myself from should."

5 comments:

  1. A beautiful day for a run! Such an important reason to have a run and I can imagine it was emotional. And love that you are celebrating the advice to release from the should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely reason to have a run, and you must be so good, Crystal, to complete half and whole marathons! I'm glad you can remember happy times with your father. Also, like Carrie, good to enjoy the evening and not worry about the "shoulds". I love seeing the picture crossing what I guess is an old railroad bridge. It is a pretty sight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running marathons takes such endurance. Good for you. I am glad that you are able to remember happy memories of your father. Suicide leaves the family with so many different emotions that I am sure it takes "endurance" to finally go beyond the sorrow to the happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a marathon or half of one is a beautiful metaphor for remembering people who completed suicide. Your day speaks of symbols, courage, and yes, not "shoulding" all over ourselves! Good for you, and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crystal,
    I'm struck how your celebration takes sadness and turns it to make the world a better place. I'm honored that you shared your story and admire both your inner strength and your physical strength.
    Thanks for celebrating,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete