Sunday, June 16, 2013

It's Monday! What are you Reading?



Jen & Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts host a meme every Monday that invites people to share the children's and young adult books they have been reading over the past week and what they plan on reading the following week.

You may find more complete information about what I am reading at Goodreads or by clicking on the Goodreads widget along the side of my blog.

The Past Week:

Picture Book


I loved the end notes about the writer of the song showcased in the book Sing. Joe Raposo wrote the song years ago and Tom Lichtenheld has illustrated it. Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast has a fantastic post about it. 

Novels


Three of these were historical fiction. I reviewed A Moment Comes on Rich in Color. It takes place during the partition of India. I also learned about some of Chile's political history when I read Gringolandia. Finally, Esperanza Rising deals with a young girl adjusting to a new life in California when she and her mother have to suddenly flee Mexico. Esperanza was such an inspirational character. The Language Inside was a novel in verse and was also about someone transplanted to another country. All four of these touched me on some level. I shed tears this week.

The Coming Week:
I will likely finish The Bitter Kingdom and Beyond Courage. I am also listening to Raven Boys though I read it already. I just picked up Rogue and I have a ton of books on deck. I will likely read The Real Boy also. Have a great week!

8 comments:

  1. OH! I had not heard of Gringolandia or A Moment Comes. Must go check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like historical fiction you will enjoy them. I have fun learning about people and places from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esperanza Rising is on my TBR list. Pleased to hear that you liked it so much. I've been reading books with some creepy, disturbing themes and I need some tear jerkers to cleanse out the bad feelings . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raven Boys-- love those audiobooks. Smart to read as book first, perhaps you'll enjoy even more as an audiobook! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving it. I read the ARC so it's been awhile and I want to read the sequel so it's a good refresher.

      Delete
  5. It seems like everyone is reading Raven Boys lately. Maybe I'll finally read it. But I never finished the shiver series, so maybe I should do that first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that I didn't like the later Shiver books as much, but they were still good. Raven Boys is excellent.

      Delete