Sunday, September 23, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


Jen & Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts host a meme every Monday that invites people to share the children's and young adult books they have been reading over the past week and what they plan on reading the following week.

Past Week:

Professional


This was a great extension for the Teachers Write summer program that I was in this year. Kate provides many helpful strategies for planning, writing, and revising even though the focus is on revision. Loved it!

I also started reading Courageous Conversations about Race in preparation for a conference this week, but didn't get finished.

Early Chapter Book


Kashmira Sheth wrote her first early chapter book. It is funny and engaging as two brothers try to convince their dog-averse mother that their family needs a dog. Our third grade loved it when she shared the first few chapters during her author visit.

Young Adult


I was quite eager to read this collection of sci-fi short stories. The neat thing about this book is that it contains the voices of a diverse group of characters. There are characters from many different countries and backgrounds. I will have a more in-depth review later this week. I truly enjoyed this book and look forward to more great works from this publisher.

Caldecott Challenge & Battle of the Books


A Ball for Daisy is part of the Wisconsin Battle of the Books for elementary schools this year. So, I got to mark one more off for the Caldecott Challenge as I prepare for coaching BOB. Have you noticed it doesn't have text? Makes it tricky for writing questions.


Blizzard! is also on the BOB list. I think Murphy does a fantastic job of weaving the facts into stories that capture the imagination of a reader. I would like to find more of his books. 

For the Coming Week:
I will try to finish Courageous Conversations About Race. I am also starting to read Splendors and Glooms. Other than that, I am not sure what the week will bring. Happy reading!




4 comments:

  1. OOh, I'm intrigued by Diverse Energies! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read a ton of sci-fi, but definitely enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. I am interested in Courageous Conversations About Race. A few of my Master's papers were on the topic of education, race, urban schools, and equality. I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about the book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I have enjoyed the challenges to my thinking. I will let you know how it goes.

      Delete