Monday, March 31, 2014

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys. Jen Vincent over at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye from Unleashing Readers decided to put a children's and YA spin on it and they invite anyone with an interest to join in. You can participate by creating your post then visit one of their sites to add your site. Finally, visit at least three participant blogs and comment to spread the love.

If you want to know more about what I am reading, visit me at my Goodreads shelfImages via Goodreads unless otherwise noted.
The Past Week:
Geisel Award Challenge



Mr. Schu and Colby Sharp are at it again. They have set up a new challenge. They are going to read all of the Geisel honor and winner books. Of course, they have also invited others to participate. This is a challenge I can easily join since the books are brief and fabulous. It will also only take about 9 weeks since the award began in 2006. I loved the first week. I had read several of them before so they were old friends, but somehow Henry and Mudge and the Great Grandpas had slipped by me. I am so glad that this challenge helped me discover this gem. I will be sharing it with my students this coming week. On top of the fun books, we get Saturday morning videos from Mr. Schu and Colby. This is good news indeed. :)

Diversity on the Shelf Challenge


First They Killed My Father was quite a difficult memoir to read since the author lived through the genocide in Cambodia in the 70s. Yes, she lived through it, but she saw and experienced many horrifying things and lost family members. Though it was troubling, I was glad to understand more about Cambodia's history. The Pot That Juan Built was uplifting and inspiring. I shared it with my third grade students this week. We were fascinated by Juan Quezada's beautiful pottery and the process that he goes through to create it. I reviewed the book here. It also qualified for the Latin@s in Kidlit challenge and that was one of the reasons that I picked it up.

The Coming Week:
I set aside Privilege, Power and Difference. I may pick it up later, but if I am going to read a professional book, I am going to choose a different one right now. I also set aside Juneteenth. I got completely lost in some of the monologues. I own it so again, I may pick it up sometime in the future. I am completely absorbed by Americanah and suggested it for our book group next month so I will finish that up this week. I had to run out an buy it after hearing this interview with Zadie Smith.



On audio, I've started The Rock and the River in the car and Luka and the Fire of Life on Playaway. I am still reading House of Purple Cedar too. I am reading an ARC of Death Spiral from NetGalley also. Whew. There are a bunch of library books sitting on my shelf, but I don't know if I will get to them. What will you be reading?

13 comments:

  1. Lots of great books! Most of them I haven't read. The Rock and the River looks really good, how is the audio? I'm currently listening to Etiquette & Espionage on audio and loving it. Will probably get the sequel this week.

    The Monster Report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying The Rock and the River. The voice actor is doing a great job and there aren't that many children's lit titles that have the Black Panthers at the center of the book so it is very interesting to me.

      Delete
  2. I've got this interview saved to watch later too. Henry & Mudge & the Great-Grandpas has also escaped me! Must get that one from the library this week. I'm planning to catch up with any Geisels I've overlooked too, and probably reread some old favorites. I officially finished the Latin@s in Kidlit Challenge this week but plan to continue reading as many Latino titles as I can because I have really loved almost all the books I've read for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great interview. I will likely watch it again as soon as I finish the book because I didn't understand some of their references and in fact tried to ignore some of them so it wouldn't be spoiled for me. I have been loving the Latin@s in Kidlit Challenge. It's great inspiration. The Geisels are so fun and quick too.

      Delete
  3. Love that people are doing the Giesel challenge--I may have to jump in when my award committee work is over :)
    Also, love the diversity challenge!! Since reading Walter Dean and Christopher Myers's articles about kids of color in picture books, I have been keeping my eye out for diversity in picture books.
    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Myers duo sure shook up the children's lit world. There isn't enough diversity in the lit, but we need to find and appreciate what we do have already and talk it up. Thanks Kellee.

      Delete
  4. The Pot That Juan Built sounds interesting, Crystal, & I like that you are sharing some diverse books. I'm taking a Latino challenge-finding books I might never have found, but this time I'm learning authors, too. Fun you're doing the Geisel challenge-lots of books to enjoy there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been fun exploring new authors and titles through these diversity challenges.

      Delete
  5. Love that you are reading all of these Geisel Award winners! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal, I have had FIRST THEY KILLED MY FATHER for a long time, and I have always been nervous to start it. Now that I read your review, I feel like I should get my big girl pants on and read it. It is hard, knowing it will send me to a dark place. Thank you for sharing these books with us. Have a wonderful reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tough book, but definitely an experience that I appreciated.

      Delete
  7. Hi there Crystal, I'd be sure to read First they Killed my Father before we go visit Cambodia (hopefully soon). Great to haer about the Geisel Award challenge. Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete