Monday, August 31, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading?

It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!


Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you go to my Goodreads account, you can see what I have read recently & click on the books to learn more.

Last week on the blog:

Interview with author Darcie Little Badger

Last week in reading:

I knew 10 Things I Hate About Pinky was on its way to me, so I quickly re-read the first two books - When Dimple Met Rishi and There's Something About Sweetie. They're all rom-coms and they really made me smile a lot. Another YA rom-com that had me smiling was an ARC of Super Fake Love Song. The other standouts were Magnificent Homespun Brown (beautiful poetry picture book celebrating the color brown and brown skin), Be You! (inspirational picture book), and Love by Sophia (a sweet picture book about family and perspective in an art type of way). I got the Love book from the publisher and will review it more formally later in the week. Redwood and Ponytail made me cry, but also smile. It's an excellent  middle grade novel in verse romance with a focus on identity.

The Coming Week: 
I'm still reading a graphic novel called A Map to the Sun. It's available on my desktop, so I don't think to get back to it. I've also started reading This is My Brain in Love through Sora. I have really been enjoying our school Overdrive collection. We're in a consortium and so though I set my students to only see the books appropriate for elementary, staff are also allowed to access the YA and adult sections. This means I have one extra library worth of books available to me now. I didn't know that was available when I signed up so it was a happy bonus. This is our first week back to school so I'm not sure how reading will go, but I wish you all a great week filled with wonderful books.

Reading Challenge Updates: 
#MustReadin2020 - 26/36
#YARC2020 - 51/55
Muslimshelfspace - 21/30

6 comments:

  1. Aaron also shared Elatsoe so hope I can find it here. I noted a few but especially Redwood and Ponytail, sounds good. Thanks, Crystal, wishing you a great start & a good week all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read some good reviews about Elatsoe so I'm really looking forward to getting a copy to read. Thanks for your review of A Journey Toward Hope. It's now on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope we get Redwood and Ponytail here very soon -- I love what you shared about it here, Crystal, and I'm sad we don't yet have a copy. I just added Elatsoe to my list after hearing about it from you and Aaron. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your library gets Redwood and Ponytail. It's something all libraries should have.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed, as others said, Elatsoe, but also Redwood and Ponytail, which I read quite a while ago. I appreciated your interview with Darcy Little Badger, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thanks for reading the interview. It's always nice to know when someone reads what we're putting on the blog. :)

      Delete