Monday, September 17, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

The Past Week on the Blog:
The Past Week in Books: 
Pre-K - Hello, Baby Animals by Lorinda Bryan Cauley & My Friends Make Me Happy by Jan   Thomas
Kinders - Teddy's Favorite Toy by Christian Trimmer illustrated by Madeline Valentine
First grade - Love by Matt de la Peña illustrated by Loren Long
Second grade - Leaves & Honey by David Ezra Stein
Third grade - All Are Welcome by Alexandra Penfold illustrated by Suzanne Kaufman and Drawn Together by Minh Lê illustrated by Dan Santat
Fourth grade - A Big Mooncake for Little Star by Grace Lin
Fifth grade - Alma and How She Got Her Name by Juana Martinez-Neal & Run Wild by David Covell
 
It was especially fun to integrate outdoor learning with many of our #classroombookaday books this week. Several grades went outside after reading. Fifth grade went out to name some plants after reading Alma.
 
 
I also managed to fit in some adult and YA reads.

 
On Thursday night, Kao Kalia Yang spoke at Viterbo University. It was wonderful to hear her and get to meet her too. For that event, I re-read The Latehomecomer which is an excellent memoir. I was excited to find out that she has picture books coming out too.
 
We had our librarian Battle of the Books this past Friday. For that, I finished re-reading and giggling through American Panda.

American Road Trip [via Netgaelley] was intense, but also fun. See my review above for more info.


The Coming Week: After hearing Kao Kalia speak, I started reading her book The Song Poet about her father. I will likely finish that. I may also start the graphic novel Pashmina since it's on my #MustReadin2018 list and it just came back to the library on Friday. I might also grab This Will Be My Undoing. Happy reading!

Reading Challenge Updates: 
Goodreads Challenge 2018 - 481/800
Diversity on the Shelf 2018 - 145/300
#MustReadin2018 - 18/30

5 comments:

  1. I just love all your #Classroombookaday books. And I keep overlooking American Panda, but I know I have access to that one in my neck of the woods. YAY! There's so many good ones out right now and too little time. Thank you for the shares this week, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went back to read your review of American Road Trip, sounds wonderful. I loved Alma, have Grace Lin's new book & need to read it! Thanks for all, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've now added American Road Trip and all your book a day titles that I haven't previously read to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love is just so powerful. I did several read alouds from this picturebook in several of my PD workshops with teachers, librarians, parents this year.

    ReplyDelete