Monday, January 4, 2016

Reading Wrap-Up


I was involved in a lot of Reading Challenges (formal and informal) in 2015 and ultimately read over 600 books. 
Here are some of the other challenges I did:
Diversity on the Shelf hosted by Alysia
 
I had the goal to read 25+ books by or about people of color. I posted 93 reviews on Alysia's site. 32 of them were picture books, 50 were middle grade and young adult books, and the other 11 were adult books. I ended up with 233 books on Goodreads that I tagged Diversity on the Shelf 2015 though. That means that I reviewed and posted a little less than half of the books that would have qualified. I'm looking forward to doing this challenge again. This year it will be hosted by Akilah at The Englishist, but the challenge will remain pretty much the same.

#MustReadin2015 hosted by Carrie Gelson

I skimmed one and read 49 of the 53 books I had on my list. I wrote about that challenge here.

Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge hosted by Alyson at Kid Lit Frenzy

I participated as much as I was able to, but even when I didn't post reviews, I was reading more nonfiction looking for good books to highlight for this challenge. I read 86 nonfiction picture books this year that I recorded on my Goodreads shelf.

An Unconventional Librarian's Diversity Reading Challenge

In this challenge hosted by Pam, we were to read 12 books that met specific qualifications. Here is my list of 12/12.

Around the World with Books hosted by Crini at All About Books

This challenge involved creating a map of the settings of the books I read over the course of the year. My map may be found here. It was kind of cool to visually see where I was reading around the world. I had no idea that there are so many books based in New York City. I also quickly noticed that I didn't have many books in South America at the beginning of the year.

My Unofficial Challenges

Printz Challenge

I decided that I wanted to finish reading all of the Printz Award and honor books this year. I had already read 51 of them over the years. I finished another 24 this year and I think that leaves me with two more to read. So close.

Pura Belpré Challenge

I had already read many of the Pura Belpré books, but because this year is the 20th anniversary, I wanted to make sure I had read all of the winners and honor books. I read many of them in the past and in 2014 when I started the challenge. I finished the other 33 this year and am all caught up at least until the ALA YMA announcements next week.

Best Multicultural Books of 2014

The Center for the Study of Multicultural Children's Literature creates a "Best Of" list each year. I wanted to make sure that I read all of the titles on the list. I had already read many of them, but finished the rest this year.



Whew! That was a ton of reading. I loved much of what I read this year and am looking forward to another great year of reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment