Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Slice of Life - Gettting Ready for El día de los niños, El día de los libros

The Slice of Life Challenge was created by the people over at the blog Two Writing Teachers. The challenge is to write about some part of your day and share it each Tuesday then give feedback to at least three other bloggers.


Third, fourth and fifth grade students are helping to create papel picado to dress up the library for El día de los niños, El día de los libros (Children's Day, Book Day) next week. We'll be celebrating with our decorations, but also by reading bilingual books, international books, and books that celebrate both children and books. It's fun to do something a little messy in the library for a change though in our small space (less than the size of a typical classroom since were located in a hallway) it's a bit tricky. We have no tables so we used lap boards. Supplies are distributed across the floor in front of the chapter book shelves and on the cart that displays new books. It's more than a little chaotic, but to see and hear students chatting and creating in honor of books is fantastic.

Are you celebrating El día de los niños, El día de los libros? If so, what are some of the activities you'll offer? If not, consider it for this year or next. There are excellent resources on Pat Mora's website, the founder of Día. I met her at ALA Midwinter this year!! Here's a great interview with her about Día on the ALSC blog.


There are also wonderful resources available at the Día: Diversity in Action page. That's where I found the templates for the pastel papel picado above (the sun and book designs posted by my office door). The papel picado the fifth graders created on tissue paper was inspired by the book Making Magic Windows by Carmen Lomas Garza. I reviewed that last week.


With our construction/remodel going on right now, we don't have space for a large celebration, but next year is the 20th anniversary. With our larger space, I am aiming for an expanded program next year to include families and even the community. I love any excuse to celebrate books and I especially enjoy Día because it also honors children and diversity.

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't learned of this celebration. Thanks for teaching me. I will look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. I have many bilingual books that I would love to share with our staff! ¡Te deseo una celebración lindísima!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like lots of fun, Crystal, & I admire you for carrying on despite the construction challenges. I'll share this with our librarians! Thank you, & best wishes for the celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a really lovely celebration! I'll have to pass this on to my Spanish teacher and librarian!

    ReplyDelete