Monday, December 15, 2014

It's Monday! What are you reading?

It's Monday! What are you reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys. Jen Vincent over at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye from Unleashing Readers decided to put a children's and YA spin on it and they invite anyone with an interest to join in. You can participate by creating your post then visit one of their sites to add your site. Finally, visit at least three participant blogs and comment to spread the love.

If you want to know more about what I am reading, visit me at my Goodreads shelfImages via Goodreads unless otherwise noted. 

The Past Week: 




I didn't finish many books this week, but the ones I did finish were excellent. The Family Romanov was a fascinating look at the Romanovs. Candace Fleming did a nice job of presenting the information in a way that showed the complexities of their lives and the influences that led to their downfall. The Night Gardener gave me chills, but also gave me a lot to think about. I like that in a book. There's a bit of philosophical pondering over several topics including the difference between stories and lies. The Turtle of Oman was a beautiful story of the love between a boy and his grandfather. There are other things happening in the book, but that relationship warmed my heart. Sylvia's Spinach will be a welcome addition to our library because it supports our garden project so well. Many of our students are like Sylvia and are leery of spinach. The publisher, Readers to Eaters, sent me the book for review along with some of their other titles. I will review it more thoroughly later, but our garden coordinator was excited when I shared the great titles about food literacy.

The Coming Week: 

I am having to slow myself down reading Stephen King's book On Writing. It's not like a typical nonfiction book since it is made up of so many stories. It reads like fiction so I am loving it aside from learning about writing. I'm listening to Blue Shoe in the car when I am not listening to holiday music. I have only read Anne Lamott's nonfiction in the past. I started The Joy Luck Club ages ago and abandoned it, but this time it's on a Playaway so I'm listening while folding clothes and knitting. Maybe I will finish this time. Dreaming in Indian is amazing. It's full of vibrant illustrations and powerful poetry and text. I'm still taking my time with it, but will be reviewing it later this week.

Aside from those that I'm currently reading, I have a huge pile of books waiting for break that I may sneak into again. I already snagged several of them as you might have noticed. If you have a pile waiting for break, be sure to share it on Twitter with the hashtag #WinterTBR or email them to nerdybookclubblog@gmail.com. The Nerdybookclub is collecting pictures of TBR stacks. I just have a hard time waiting. I think I'll be snagging The Madman of Piney Woods before next week.


What will you be reading?

3 comments:

  1. I've owned On Writing for years and years and have never read it. Reading your review, I realize it is different than I expected. I really need to get to it. I am looking forward to hearing more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candace Fleming always does a fantastic job! She is an amazing historian and story teller. Thank you for sharing this one--I hadn't known of it.
    Next to Maggie & Bramble, I haven't read any books you mentioned, and they all sound good!

    Happy reading this week! :)

    P.S. You'll love Rain Reign!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got to get to the rest of The Turtle of Oman. I just haven't been in the right mood. The Family Romanov is on my radar. I need to pick it up! I should photograph my TBR pile. Just made it. Big plans . . .

    ReplyDelete