Saturday, December 6, 2014

Celebrate!

Discover. Play. Build.

Ruth Ayres has a link-up on Saturdays where people link to posts that are celebrations about their week. I love this reminder to celebrate every week.

* I'm participating in Write Daily. This is a writing challenge that is hosted by Linda Urban. I'm celebrating that I have been writing more this week and posting to my blog more often. I wrote for four days straight. Yesterday though, I didn't make my goal. I planned to, but this week I have stayed almost 2 hours after work every day. We're going through a renovation and we (me and two aides) had to move almost half of the library to a new location and we're boxing up the rest. This is an exhausting job. When I came home yesterday I sat on the floor until my husband brought home dinner. We watched the hobbit together and I went to bed. No writing was accomplished, but my brain and body relaxed and I spent time with family. I was disappointed this morning when I realized I hadn't written, but today is a new day.

It's fun for the students to hide in and around the boxes during the shift.

* The library move is a struggle. Doing all of my regular tasks with moving on top of it is wearing me down. Almost every free moment is spent shifting books, packing them, or making decisions about the new or old library space. I would love to say that it's exciting and I am looking forward to the new space, but right now I have my head down and am just trying to get through. There is a small light shining at the end of the tunnel though. All of the books that are staying in our new mini-library are moved and there is only one more bookcase of nonfiction to be packed on Monday. We still have the chapter and picture books to pack, but there are fewer of those. It's beginning to feel manageable.

* One of our pre-k teachers left that fun note seen in the center above. Chocolate always helps when I am stressed and it is wonderful to know that others are behind us and understand the stress of the move.

* Because of my schedule, I won't see all of the classes during the Hour of Code week, so I started some of those lessons already. It was fun to see the students enjoying the Hour of Code program online and some of my earlier grades were interacting with the apps Kodable and Light Bot. One child was not as thrilled though. He is a true Nerdybookclub guy. When he realized what we were doing he said, "I don't want to play a game on an iPad, I just want to read a book." He did manage to learn a little about coding and enjoy himself, but he was happy when we got to checkout time and he could finally get to the books.

* My daughter is performing in many musical events this season. We get to go see her at one of the local universities this weekend. It's an honor choir with nominated high school students along with the university choir. They're singing portions of the Messiah and she has been looking forward to this for quite some time.

* Finally, I got our Christmas cards ordered and they came in the mail. I haven't sent any in about six years so this is a step in the right direction. I've written a few of them already and am hoping to get the majority mailed this weekend. I'm enjoying the Advent Season and while cards add more work, it's also nice to send out greetings to people we don't see often and think of them.

I hope that your week was full of celebrations big and small.

3 comments:

  1. I can't imagine dealing with all the parts of your job and a move - especially in this busy season. Kudos to you! I am sure the kids see it as lots of fun but wow. Glad to hear you took a much needed night off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your time does sound tough, Crystal, especially since you are downsizing. Can't imagine how you can choose what gets packed. I hope it's temporary! Love the pics and the note. It is nice that others see the challenging work you're doing at the same time as your job. Whew! Love hearing about your daughter. We have a performance at school this week, and I can't wait to see the students singing. Music seems important this time of year. Have a good next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have so much going on. I loved the image of your slowing down to enjoy a movie with your family. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete