Monday, November 3, 2014

It's Monday! What are you reading?

It's Monday! What are you reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys. Jen Vincent over at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye from Unleashing Readers decided to put a children's and YA spin on it and they invite anyone with an interest to join in. You can participate by creating your post then visit one of their sites to add your site. Finally, visit at least three participant blogs and comment to spread the love.

If you want to know more about what I am reading, visit me at my Goodreads shelfImages via Goodreads unless otherwise noted. 

The Past Week:


Darkroom was an excellent graphic novel memoir. I also found it helpful as we are working on shading in my drawing class so it was a bit of a mentor text in that way. I loved the art.

Beauty was a re-read. I am working on a retelling of a completely different fairytale for NaNoWriMo, but it reminded me that I hadn't read Beauty for a long time. It was nice to just relax into that one.

The squirrel book was very cute and it was great that she included how she was able to get the photographs.

The Coming Week:



I just started listening to Betsy-Tacy. I am working my way through Wonderbook in hopes that it helps with NaNoWriMo. I am still reading the other two also. My writing may keep my reading time a little shorter so I am not sure what I will get to beyond these. Have a great week!

10 comments:

  1. Darkroom looks great! I love graphic novel memoirs! They are not extremely common, but I appreciate them. I am also an artsy person, so this is a great recommendation for me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I hope you get a chance to read it. She shares immigration experiences, civil rights issues in Alabama in the 60s among other things. It was quite interesting in addition to the great illustrations.

      Delete
  2. The Betsy-Tacy books were my favorites when I was a little girl. I'll be interested to see what you think, Crystal. Thanks for the three books after Beauty. I'll look especially for Darkroom. I think Robin McKinley is too over-looked lately. I did love Beauty & still recommend it when needed. Thanks, Crystal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always heard of the Betsy-Tacy books, but I had never come across them. It seems sweet so far.

      Delete
  3. I am so impressed with all the writing I hear people doing! I feel like some students, I really don't like writing and it is hard for me! Can't wait to hear how your writing goes this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still not sure I enjoy writing, but I like to stretch those muscles and push past my comfort. I would rather do any number of things really. NaNoWriMo is like a marathon. It's a bit painful and hard, but I feel like I have accomplished something major when it's done.

      Delete
  4. I want to read A Girl Called Problem so am curious to see what you think. I need to find this squirrel book - I am intrigued by the photo part of it. I am not the biggest fan of squirrels so I need to learn their secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderbook is gorgeous, isn't it? I just bought it--haven't started reading it yet but I did flip through. Beautifully designed book. Reading your post makes me want to reread Beauty, one of my all-time favorite fairy tale retellings. (I also love her Outlaws of Sherwood. Good luck with your NaNoWriMo project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE McKinley's fairy tale retellings. Beauty was so good! Have you read Tam Lin by Dean? I may have to put that one on my reread list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved Wonderbook as well, but have to return it to the library though before I left Singapore. I'm hoping to get my own copy soonest. :)

    ReplyDelete