Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Knock Knock



The Slice of Life Challenge was created by the people over at the blog Two Writing Teachers. The challenge is to write about some part of your day and share it each Tuesday.

I am late getting started on this post as it is after 9:00, but I didn't do it last week and I didn't want to skip again.

Over the past week I have been sharing books that were on the award lists. One of the lists I explain is the Corretta Scott King award. When I shared the topic of Knock Knock: My Dad's Dream for Me by Daniel Beaty with students they were touched. If you haven't read it yet, I would highly recommend it. You can also see the Daniel Beaty perform the poem the book is based on here:


Some students were moved because they had never thought about what it might be like to wake up and have a parent missing. Some because they know all too well.


2 comments:

  1. I loved the video. Some of my students were making comments the other day about dead parents. This was obviously a joke that children have among themselves, because they are unaware of the sad truth behind it. After explaining to the students that some individuals really have lost parents, I could tell that they still did not quite understand. Although this is not about a deceased parent I still believe this may help the students relate. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for visiting the blog.

      Delete