Sunday, February 16, 2014

Celebrate!

Discover. Play. Build.

Ruth Ayres has a link-up on Saturdays where people link to posts that are celebrations about their week. I love this reminder to celebrate every day.

I have so much to celebrate this week and a lot of it revolves around my adventures this weekend. That's the reason that this post is so late.
1. I had a second computer programming session with 4th and 5th grade students before school. It's a lot of fun.

2. We had our final "battle" for Battle of the Books to determine which team would do the state competition. It was fun to see how the students worked as a team.

3. I got to see my son this weekend for a little while as I passed through Madison on my way to and from the Children's Literature Breakfast. That always makes my heart happy.

4. I got to meet some Twitter friends and great authors at the Children's Literature Breakfast.

Twitter folks I met for the first time in person: Donna K. - @akgal68 and John Schumacher @MrSchuReads

Twitter folks that I had met before: Nikki @daydreamreader, Travis @100scopenotes, Sarah @pageintraining

Yes, that is Henry Winkler
Authors: Crystal Chan (Bird), Maggie Stiefvater (Raven Boys), Nnedi Okorafor (Akata Witch), Jon J Muth (Hi, Koo), Henry Winkler (Hank Zipzer), Lin Oliver (Hank Zipzer), Aaron Reynolds (Disasterosaurus), Joelle Charbonneau (The Testing), Trish Cook (A Really Awesome Mess), Stephanie Hemphill (Your Own, Sylvia), Stacey Kade (The Ghost and the Goth series), France & Tad Mitchell (Where is the Sears Tower?), Fern Schumer Chapman (Motherland is it Night or Day?) and a few more.

Phew! That was a lot of people to meet and it was beyond wonderful.


5. Books!!! I got to purchase many fun books for me and for my school library - some of which I even got signed. :)

Aaron Reynolds
Maggie Stiefvater
Jon J. Muth
I was only sorry I forgot to ask Nnedi Okorafor and Crystal Chan for photos too. I got their books signed first. Live and learn. I got one more fun photo after chatting with Maggie S. Her flight didn't happen so she drove this car for 11 hours to get to the breakfast. I never imagined I would see it in person. *happy dance*


That would be the same car from this video:



4 comments:

  1. Lucky you! I am impressed at the number of authors you were able to meet. I loved Happy Days and the Fonz! I need to read his book now too. :)

    Mary-andering Creatively

    Mary-andering Among the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a great day. I'm enjoying Hank Zipzer.

      Delete
  2. So jealous of your fun time at the Children's Literature Breakfast. We used to do Battle of the Books in Texas, but nothing like that in WA. How does your state contest work?
    How fun to meet so many authors and Twitter friends! How fun that you also got to see your son. Definitely a heart happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a list of 20 books of varying lengths, difficulty and genres. Students read and practice at the school level from fall into Feb. Then one team from each school can compete in the online state test. The three elementary schools in my district also choose our top three teams and do a Skype battle among those nine teams. We used to travel to one of the schools, but bussing is expensive, so we just do it virtually now. That's fun too.

      Delete