Monday, January 23, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



What I Read this week:

For the Newbery Challenge I finished The Dark Frigate (1924) and got started on Tales from Silver Lands.  I did enjoy the pirates and ship adventures, but am struggling a bit to get through the tales.

With the Caldecott Challenge, there were many more titles this week.  I giggled through Madeline's Rescue, King Bidgood's Bathtub, Finders Keepers, and Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears, reminisced with The Rooster Crows: A Book of American Rhymes and Jingles and Wee Gillis, enjoyed visiting islands with The Little Island and Time of Wonder.  I also read Many Moons (rather silly characters) and Freight Train (fantastic concept book).

A few newer books caught my eye like Shoe-La-La! which was a silly romp with pink and sparkles.  I also stumbled upon two very sweet books Hug Time and one of my new favorites Plant a Kiss by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Peter Reynolds.   

   

Petunia Goes Wild was another fun book too.   I laughed and laughed through the newest Bink and Gollie: Two for One.  Those two friends are just fantastic and so full of life.  I smile the humongous smile with them.

I didn't manage to read many non-fiction books this week, but the ones I did read were wonderful.  I especially enjoyed Never Forgotten.  It's an amazingly powerful book that will stay with me for a long time.  The other non-fiction book I got to read was on the Nerdies list - A Butterfly is Patient and had beautiful illustrations.

For next week:

I want to dig in to some of the books that I learned about during the Youth Media Awards today - starting with Close to Famous and Tales for Picky Eaters.  I will finish Tales of Silver Lands and start Shen of the Sea.  If I get a chance, I will also read read Stick by Andrew Smith (YA).  And of course, I will keep trucking along with the Caldecotts.

Have a great week of reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment