Monday, April 22, 2019

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

Reading Last Week:
 

¡Vamos! Lets Go to the Market is great especially if you've been to such a market. Even if you haven't been to a market like this, there is so much to see, you could look at the pages for a looooong time. In a way it reminds me of a Richard Scarry book with Spanish and more fun.

Let 'Er Buck! George Fletcher, the People's Champion is a fantastic biography of a rodeo winner. Did you know 25% of cowboys were black? Many people do not realize that. This book celebrates Fletcher and gives us a bit of cowboy history.

They Call Me Güero: A Border Kid's Poems is a wonderful collection of poetry that gives us a glimpse into the life a young boy and his family. Some poems were more serious and some made me laugh. Many brought memories of living in Texas back to me.

Tight was a more stressful read. It's a middle grade book about a boy who is being influenced by someone who breaks the rules. He is conflicted about the rush he gets breaking the rules and the fear he feels about getting caught or hurt. He has to decide who he is going to be.

New Kid is an excellent realistic fiction middle grade graphic novel about a young boy settling into a new school. Jordan feels that he has to be one person at school and another at home. The code switching in addition to racism at school is wearing him down. He tries to find his place and his people with laughter and some difficulties along the way.

Game of Stars is hilarious and chock full of action like the first Kiranmala book, Serpent's Secret. This is an exciting middle grade fantasy and I can't wait for the next one.

ModernHERstory was on my list because the author, Blair Imani, came and talked at the local university a few weeks ago and I wanted to see what she wrote about women. It's a compilation of one or two page biographies of some amazing women. Some of them were names new to me, but all were inspirational. The brief bios made me want to learn more about many of these women.

New Poets of Native Nations is an anthology of relatively newly published Native poets. There are some amazing poems in here. One that really stood out is 38 by Layli Long Soldier and you may here it here.

Heart Berries is a poetic and moving memoir. It seems to move through the emotional landscape of Terese Marie Mailhot's life.

I also re-read the ARCs from Netgalley of There's Something About Sweetie and Love from A to Z. I enjoyed both and will be writing reviews on Rich in Color for posts in early May. Love from A to Z is so so good. 
The Coming Week: 

I just got the ARC for Ebony Elizabeth Thomas' nonfiction book, The Dark Fantastic and that is next on my list.

Reading Challenge Updates: 
Goodreads Challenge 2019 - 113/550
Diversity on the Shelf 2019 - 78/275
#MustReadin2019 - 20/30
Year of the Asian 2019 - 11/30

4 comments:

  1. I loved "They Call Me Güero", thought it felt true to life. I have Heartberries, Tight & Let 'er Buck on my list, will get to them sometime. Will look for New Poets of Native Nations which sounds great. Thanks, Crystal! I always appreciate what you share, & they are often new titles to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They Call Me Güero: A Border Kid's Poems is in the list of books that I asked our librarian to purchase - really excited to find it and read it soonest. I am intrigued by Heart Berries - it's been on my radar for the longest time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of books here I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Serpent's Secret on my #MustReadin2019 list, so I hope to go right into Game of Stars afterwards. And I've been looking forward to New Kid -- our library got a copy, but it's audio only. So yeah, going to have to wait until we get a print copy or until I can purchase my own. And I'm adding Love from A to Z to my list right now. Thank you for sharing, Crystal (and my apologies for making it around to everyone's #imwayr blog so late this week)!

    ReplyDelete