Sunday, November 4, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.


The Past Week on the Blog:

The Past Week in Books: 
#ClassroomBookaday




Pre-K: We Love Dinosaurs by Lucy Volpin (Yup - they do)
Kindergarten: Lii Yiiboo Nayaapiwak lii Swer: L'alfabet di Michif / Owls See Clearly at Night: A Michif Alphabet by Julie Flett
First and Second Grade:  A Day with Yayah by Nicola I. Campbell illustrated by Julie Flett and When We Were Alone by David Alexander Robertson illustrated by Julie Flett
Third Grade: Hungry Johnny by Cheryl Minnema illustrated by Wesley Ballinger
Fourth Grade: The Patchwork Bike by Maxine Beneba Clarke illustrated by Van T. Rudd and Hiawatha and the Peacemaker by Robbie Robertson illustrated by David Shannon
Fifth Grade: The Turtle Ship by Helena Ku Rhee illustrated by Colleen Kong-Savage and The Water Walker by Joanne Robertson

Dactyl Hill Squad is historical middle grade novel with a fantastical slant. It's in the time of the Civil War, but the dinosaurs never became extinct, so they are around. It's really fun and full of adventure. It's also got a great cast of diverse characters. I read it because Daniel José Older will be speaking in a nearby town tomorrow evening. Yay!

Blanca & Roja was fabulous as I expected since I love fairytale re-tellings and I also love Anna-Marie McLemore's books. We're having a group discussion about it over at Rich in Color later this week.
Photographic: The Life of Graciela Iturbide by Isabel Quintero illustrated by Zeke Peña was a really creative graphic biography that included some of her art.

This Side of Home by Renee Watson was a great realistic young adult novel that dealt with family, friendship, romance, race, and gentrification. Whew. It was good and was packed with things to think about.
The Coming Week: I've started reading one of the books on my #MustReadin2018 list - All That I Can Fix by Crystal Chan. I'm still reading Being the Change and started The Complete Stories by Zora Neale Hurston.

Reading Challenge Updates: 
Goodreads Challenge 2018 - 625/800
Diversity on the Shelf 2018 - 188/300
#MustReadin2018 - 21/30

5 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of This Side of Home, but I need to add it to my list. I just received a copy of Renée Watson Watch Us Rise, which looks really good. I'm also betting my middle grader would enjoy Dactyl Hill Squad. I'll see if I can hunt this one down for him. Thanks for all the titles, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much to love here, Crystal. I have The Patchwork Bike, & need to read it! Also, will look for the new Renee Watson book. It sounds nice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've read some of my favourite books by indigenous authors this week Crystal!
    I'm trying to get on top of my MustRead list and now have more motivation to get to Piecing Me Together since Rene Watson has a new book out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all highly interesting reads - most of which I have not even seen yet. I have just read Photographic and will be featuring it for our reading theme soonest - wasn't that powerful?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of really great looking stuff. I love your GRA picture books. I am hoping to get to Dactyl Hill Squad soon as well. Thanks for sharing these excellent books!

    ReplyDelete