Sunday, October 28, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

The Past Week in Books: 
#ClassroomBookaday


Our GRA display. The giant collage was quite an undertaking, but was fun.
Kindergarten through second grade students are doing Global Read Aloud so we read Wild Berries by Julie Flett and then You Hold Me Up by Monique Gray Smith. 


Fourth grade students read Imagine.

Fifth grade students read More Than Anything Else.




At home I had quite a variety of books. The Paris Architect was for book club and it wasn't horrible, but also wasn't my favorite WWII novel. Lucky Luna was a cute middle grade novel. A Girl Like That was not easy to read. It starts with the death of two teens & deals with sexual assault and a variety of injustices to women and girls. When reading reviews, I did see that some people had issues with the Muslim representation with some legitimate concerns. I'm not sure I would recommend it to others. After that, I reached for The Epic Crush of Genie Lo believing that would be a fun book that would make me laugh and it was perfect. I love Monkey King stories and this one is a fantastic twisty and action packed adventure with a nice bit of romance too. The Place Between Breaths was my next read and it's a heavy one dealing with mental illness. The story is complex and difficult to follow, but it is structured that way intentionally. It's one to make you think. The author intended to make it hopeful, but I didn't find it very hopeful so I"m not sure what to think about it. I was happy to pick up Always and Forever Lara Jean after that one. I really enjoy hanging out with Lara Jean and her family so this one lifted my spirits. Given all that has happened in our country this week, I was looking for ways to find joy and this fit the bill.


The Coming Week: I learned that my hold request is in so I will pick up Photographic : the life of Graciela Iturbide by Isabel Quintero. I'm super excited to read that one, but am not sure what else I'll get to. Have a great week!

Reading Challenge Updates: 
Goodreads Challenge 2018 - 618/800
Diversity on the Shelf 2018 - 182/300
#MustReadin2018 - 21/30

6 comments:

  1. Photographic is superb! One of the best graphic novels I've read this year and such an interesting mix of drawing and photography, imaginative writing and quotations from Iturbide. I think we're doing a couple of Julie Flett titles for GRA this week in my reading course for preservice teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently checked out Photographic : the Life of Graciela Iturbide and I hope to finish it this week, too! It looks good and I'm glad to hear Elisabeth's thoughts above, too. Have a great week, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to Photographic but not sure when. You've shared some good titles, and will go on the list. The Place Between Breaths does sound good, though serious. Yes, we need a few happy books, too after this week, will put The Epic Crush. . . on the list, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know Photographic, but look at all of that love ^^^ I guess I need to find it!
    I loved Adrian Simcox, but I didn't know the other books you read with kids this week, so I need to fix that.

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adored Photographic and hope it pleases you as much as it did me. The Epic Crush of Genie Lo is the kind of book I need these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have my primary library classes enough to do Global Read Aloud, I do it with my grade six classes, but I would have loved to do so this year. Those are great books, and one is written by a former student of my school, Nicola Campbell. The rest of your reading week sounds great, thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete