Sunday, January 14, 2018

Celebrate!


Ruth Ayres has a link-up on weekends where people link to posts that are celebrations about their week. I love this reminder to celebrate every week and I appreciate the community we have through this link-up.

Our Zolotow Display at School

Last week I was celebrating the Zolotow Award. This week I am celebrating the same thing only I can also tell you which book won - A Different Pond by Bao Phi illustrated by Thi Bui. Here is the formal press release.


I'm happy to be celebrating this lovely book about an immigrant family. Bao Phi wrote this based on his childhood experiences. It's not strictly memoir, but it's a way he's honoring his parents and all they did to make a good life for their family in this country after leaving Vietnam.



To learn more, check out the resources at All the Wonders & listen to their podcast with the author.

Five honor books were named:

  • Niko Draws a Feeling by Bob Raczka, illustrated by Simone Shin
  • Jabari Jumps by Gaia Cornwall
  • Buster and the Baby by Amy Hest
  • Baby Goes to Market by Atinuke, illustrated by Angela Brooksbank
  • Herbert's First Halloween by Cynthia Rylant, illustrated by Stephen Henry

In addition, there were eight Highly Commended titles:


This week was a stressful one if a person was watching the news, but the Zolotow Award announcement was a bright spot in the middle of it all. Have a great week.

3 comments:

  1. I've read all but some of the honor books, Crystal. I loved A Different Pond and wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't honored again. Big Cat, Little Cat was so sweet, too. I'm glad you shared this celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy that I see many I have read and adding more to my TBR list! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Crystal --
    I'm so happy to read this post. I'm can't wait to get my hands on these books. You are such an advocate!
    Happy reading,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete