Sunday, November 27, 2016

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

Last Week on the Blog: 


Last Week in Books:

Years ago a friend started her Happiness Project and blog simultaneously. Ever since, I have had The Happiness Project on my TBR. I finally read it and did find some great questions to ponder and came up with a few activities/goals I'd like to accomplish. It's a breezy read since she writes very conversationally. It's got me back to journaling. It was a good book to read right before the whole New Year resolution season.

Being Jazz has been on my list or a while. I listened to the audio and appreciated hearing Jazz's story of being a transgender girl and the road to becoming an advocate for transgender children and teens.

The Underground Railroad won the National Book Award for fiction this year. The story was extremely intense and is one I'd recommend. It wasn't an easy book to read, but it was definitely powerful.

On a lighter note, Marisol McDonald and the Monster  was a fun picture book. Marisol is back in this third book to show us that monsters can be scary, but we can face our fears and conquer them.

Chukfi Rabbit's Big Bad Bellyache: A Trickster Tale is a cute story about a lazy rabbit who manages to eat more than his fair share.

The Coming Week:
I have been trying to get to more of my #MustReadin2016 books so I have a few of those on my pile this week: Soul Enchilada, With or Without You and Freaks and Revelations.

Reading Challenge Updates:
Goodreads Challenge - 533/550
Diversity on the Shelf 2016 - 238/225 (goal = 50% of my books by and/or about POC)
ReadPOC Challenge - 165/125
#MustReadin2016 - 32/54

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoy Gretchen Rubin's books (and her style). Glad you are finding something inspiring there too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Underground Railroad, might save it for after the Cybil's. I know it will be serious, but I also think it's a must read. Glad you shared about it, Crystal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing The Underground Railroad being described as intense makes me want to get it right now! I am adding it to my holiday wish list. I should have added it earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ordered a copy of The Underground Railroad and really looking forward to reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to check out "Being Jazz". Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your posts are always so inspiring and really help me expand what I want to read.
    I loved your Diverse Tag post, and I loved that Ricki already said she wants to do one :)

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete