Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thankfully Reading Results

I have to say that I was not able to read nearly as much as I had hoped for the Thankfully Reading Weekend, but I had fun with my family and made a significant dent in my NaNoWriMo novel in addition to stealing a little time to read a few books.



The first book in my weekend was Sugar and Ice by Kate Messner.
I stole minutes every chance I could to sink into this fun middle grade novel about a young figure skater struggling with her priorities.  Claire must balance helping out at her family's Maple farm, school, skating and her friendships.  Since I have spent many hours watching my daughter skate and prepare for competitions, I truly enjoyed this novel. It was a nice escape when I needed a little quiet time.




The second book I was lucky enough to read was Seaglass Summer by Anjali Banerjee.  Seaglass Summer tells of a young girl spending part of the summer with her uncle, a veterinarian, while her parents visit family in India.  She has been waiting and waiting for this opportunity because she wants to be a vet when she grows up.  Her eyes are opened as she sees the many messy and difficult things that a vet must do.  Poppy has pluck and I had fun watching her learn.



The final book of my weekend was The Cheshire Cheese Cat: A Dickens of a Tale by Carmen Agra Deedy.  Since I was reading a galley from Netgalley, I wasn't able to see the illustrations, but the story was unique and very entertaining.  I enjoyed the Dickens allusions and the wonderful old inn where the story takes place. Skilley is a cat of refined tastes.  Mice do not interest him, but the fabulous Cheshire Cheese, now that is another story.  Skilley and his new mouse friend, Pip, work together in spite of some dangerous enemies in their way.   Reading this book was a wonderful way to while away my Sunday.


While I didn't get to nearly enough books over the weekend, I enjoyed every moment I could manage to carve out.  I have a wonderful pile of books waiting for me now.  I'm off to read a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment