Sunday, November 6, 2011

10 Cool Things I Learned on Twitter This Week

Inspired by Colby Sharp's post in combination with my appreciation for Twitter, I felt that I must also share what I have learned on Twitter recently.


1. @MrsBMG-shared that Toontastic was free this weekend - so I got a great app I've been wanting - FOR FREE!


2.  @langwitches- shared a copyright article by Wesley Fryer that included memory device for teaching wise way to search for audio (and other additions to presentations) Harry Potter Can Fly: 
H = Homegrown
 P = Public Domain
 C = Creative Commons 
F = Fair Use


3.  From the same copyright article I was led to a fantastic site, digccMixter, that has links to places that provide audio for use in presentations, videos etc....


4.  I read and participated in more great discussion around the picture book I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen at #hatback (particularly with @colbysharp, @mentortexts, and @PaulWHankins)


5. @pageintraining and @MarciaDressel provided much needed #NaNoWriMo encouragement and @maureenjohnson shared advice for how to survive


6. I was unsurprised but happy to learn via @the1stdaughter that @Patrick_Ness won the Galaxy National Book Award for A Monster Calls.


7.  Twitter has led me to Picture Book Month and #picturebookmonth is chock full of ideas that I can't wait to use in my library.  I will likely have my students recommending their faves in the coming weeks.



8. @Tamara_Jaimes Tweeted "Following familiar authors gives kids (&me) a peek into the writing process of the best writing mentors. It's instant credibility!"  Made me think I might need to show a few author tweets at school.  Hadn't thought to do that.


9. @JensBookPage led me to great article by Mo Willems (@The_Pigeon) about why we need books.   His article even helped me with writing hints for my NanoWriMo book.


10. I got to find out about many new and old books to add to my To Be Read pile through #Fridayreads and #bookaday and of course #Titletalk.  There are so many awesome people on Twitter that love reading and literacy.  


Twitter is an awesome tool and is a whole lot of fun.  I am loving how it influences my teaching and my library while providing more than a few laughs.  Thanks to all of you wonderful Tweeters busy teaching and learning with each other.



No comments:

Post a Comment