Saturday, January 2, 2021

Reading Update and Plans for 2021

 Reading Update & Plans

Image from Goodreads. Open book at top. My Year in Books. 93,893 pages read 590 books read. Shortest book is Cupcakes 123 at 14 pages and the longest is the Qur'an at 978.

It seems I read a few pages in 2020. What I noticed for certain is that I read longer books this year. In 2019, I read 917 books, but fewer pages than this year. So.... I looked back and I read about 78 books for adults in 2020 compared to 47 in 2019. I think this was a way to make sure there was no work happening. When I read YA or children's lit, it's fun, but is tangentially related to blogging or work. Reading was escapism in 2020. Some people had trouble reading long books, but I actually read fewer picture books. I needed things I could fall into for hours at a time.

Here are my favorite YA books of 2020 that were highlighted over at Rich in Color

Book covers including Cemetery Boys, Darius the Great Deserves Better, Elatsoe, Furia, Parachutes, and Say Her Name

Here are my favorite YA graphic novels of 2020 that were highlighted at Rich in Color:

A cute tiger is sitting over a circle with two ribbons at the bottom like an award. There are six stars over the top of the circle.
I was participating in the Year of Reading Asian Challenge hosted by several people:

I chose to aim for the Bengali Tiger level which meant reading 50 or more books by Asian authors. I was counting picture books and middle grade too and I ended up reading 74 books for #YARC2020 which are also listed on my Goodreads shelf. :)

Cover images of books found on my Goodreads shelf that is linked.
Cover images of books found on my Goodreads shelf that is linked.

I enjoyed this challenge, but am not sure if it will be offered again this year. After doing this challenge two years in a row, reading books from Asian authors is part of my plan anyway. Also, I listen to Books and Boba and they are often leading me to great titles.

Another challenge I was doing was the #MustReadin2020 that was inspired by Carrie Gelsen. Several of us have been participating in the #MustRead challenge for a few years. I chose 35 books to read in 2020. I finished 32 of them. I still have three that I will move to my #MustReadin2021 list. To see the list since the cover images may be difficult to read, visit my Goodreads shelf

The cover images of the books I read that may be accessed on my goodreads shelf.

The Fire This Time, Salvage the Bones, and The Buddha of Suburbia can go back on the list. I am not quite sure what I will be putting on my list for 2021 yet, but will try to get that done soon. I will be trying out a new platform though. I have moved my books over to The Story Graph which is still in beta form. It will be interesting to use something other than Goodreads for a bit. 

I am also considering participating in the Read Native 2021 challenge this year so you may see more about that soon. 

I hope you have a great year because we all really deserve one at this point. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment