Sunday, January 3, 2021

#MustReadin2021

The #MustReadin.... is a reading challenge that originated with Carrie Gelson at There is a Book for That and I've been participating since 2014. It's a group of folks who are trying to whittle down the list of books on our To Be Read shelves. I've really enjoyed being part of this reading community each year and am happy to be able to join in once again. This year it is being co-hosted by Cheriee Weichel at Library Matters and Leigh Ann Eck at A Day in the Life. It's not too late to join. 

Here is my list for 2021 via a new reading app called StoryGraph if you want to find out about any of the specific titles. 

20 book cover images are shown in four rows of five.

Here is the list typed out so that I can come back and highlight them as I finish reading them. 
  1. We Are Not Free by Traci Chee 
  2. Amazons, Abolitionists, and Activists: A Graphic History of Women's Fight for Their Rights by Mikki Kendall with A. D'Amico
  3. The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory
  4. Foreshadow: Stories to Celebrate the Magic of Reading & Writing YA edited by Nova Ren Suman & Emily X. R. Pan
  5. Don't Read the Comments by Eric Smith
  6. Simmer Down by Sarah Smith
  7. The Girl and the Ghost by Hanna Alkaf
  8. Snapdragon by Kat Leyh
  9. Wink by Rob Harrell
  10. The Other Half of Happy by Rebecca Balcárcel
  11. Risk. Fail. Rise: A Teacher's Guide to Learning from Mistakes by M. Colleen Cruz
  12. Outside, Inside by Leuyen Pham
  13. Teaching for Black Lives by Wayne Au, Dyan Watson, Jesse Hagopian
  14. Cultivating Genius: An Equity Framework for Culturally and Historically Responsive Literacy by Gholdy Muhammad
  15. Efrén Divided by Ernesto Cisneros
  16. The Okay Witch by Emma Steinkellner
  17. Wildcard (Warcross) by Marie Lu
  18. Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death by Joan Halifax
  19. Superman Smashes the Klan by Gurihiru & Gene Luen Yang
  20. The Fire This Time: A New Generation Speaks About Race by Jesmyn Ward
Whew! That is a bit of a list, but is actually fewer than I have attempted in the past. Maybe I will be able to finish this year. Some years I do, but not always. I've chosen some for fun, some for professional learning, and some for personal learning so it's a mix. I look forward to seeing everyone's lists. Have a great week!

5 comments:

  1. Well, I've saving your list, Crystal. You know I have Superman on the list, and I had the pleasure of reading Outside, Inside early. It is wonderful. I also enjoyed Efren Divided, but the other mostly are new to me. Thank you & have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crystal! It's so nice to be connected to this group again. I've been gone too long! I read Cultivating Genius and it might be one of my favorite professional books of all time! I just ordered Risk.Fail.Rise. for the Nerdy Book Club Book Club! Can't wait to dig in! You've got some titles on your list that I don't know, so of course...more to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some pretty stellar books on you list if the ones that I have read are any indication of the rest! Happy reading this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little late in reading the posts but enjoying everyone's lists! Efren Divided is one that i am repeatedly seeing! Wink is one in my cart, waitng to be purchased! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed Wink and also Warcross (so I should Wildcard to my list). I need add Efren Divided too, and a few others but these are the ones that stand out the most for me (of the ones I know). I always find great books to look up from your posts, thanks!

    ReplyDelete