Sunday, April 26, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you go to my Goodreads account, you can see what I have read recently & click on the books to learn more.

Last week on the blog:

Last week in books:

This week was one of ups and down emotionally as we continue to do distance learning. I'll Be the One was a book I chose deliberately because it looked very fun and it definitely was and it was available as a digital ARC through Edelweiss (available June 16). It's a cute rom-com with a Korean American main character who is competing in a reality tv voice/dance competition in spite of her mother's lack of support. 

Though it may not be light and comedic, Parachutes (another digital ARC - available May 26) intrigued me because we have hosted many international students. In the past, they have stayed only one school year. This time though we actually have a student who would be considered a parachute. I had never heard this term, but it describes students (generally from Asia and most often from China) who come to the states and attend private schools for multiple years (which you can't do in public schools) so they may graduate here and then attend college here. Our student will have been here three years when she graduates. I often wonder where the exchange student books are so was interested to see this one. It was well done and really gets into some of the issues students can face including sexual harassment and racism along with simply missing their families and friends.

The other YA I read was Reaper at the Gates. Somehow I had thought I was all caught up on this series, but I grabbed it the final time I went to the library knowing Ramadan was coming up and it would be nice to read a book by a Muslim author. The whole series has been great though it is one of those stories where if anything seems to go well, watch out--there is sure to be death and destruction coming. It just goes from bad to worse. The relationships and connections between characters are fascinating and the story moves quickly. It's hard to wait for the next one. In addition to this one, I also read three picture books for the #RamadonReadathon - Like the Moon Loves the Sky, My Grandma and Me and Under the Ramadan Moon.

Finally, I listened to The List of Things That Will Not Change through Libro.fm. This was a middle grade about a young girl dealing with her anxiety (it normalizes therapy & I loved that) and eczema along with big changes with her family. Her father is getting married and she will be getting a sister, but they haven't even met. There is a lot to love here. 

The Coming Week:

American as Paneer Pie is an E-ARC I'm still reading from Netgalley. I finished up Garvey's Choice for my school book group. I am still reading Stamped and may yet get back to Dream Work. I plan to start reading Felix Ever After too. I am also waiting for a few new books to arrive via mail. I'm excited about those, but I don't know what will get here first.

Reading Challenge Updates: 
#MustReadin2020 - 16/36
#YARC2020 - 24/55

7 comments:

  1. Lots to love in many of your books. I haven't heard much about Parachutes, but it sounds really interesting. Reaper at the Gates sounds good too, but I am a book behind in that series. I really loved The List of Things that Will Not Change. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited about American as Paneer Pie! Our class Skyped with Supriya at the beginning of the year, and she told the kids a little about it.

    I didn't think much of The List of Things that Will Not Change, but I also read it shortly after To Night Owl from Dogfish, and I kept getting them muddled in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paneer Pie was great. I read Parachutes because I love Yang's work, but it reminded me why I'm a middle grade and NOT YA librarian. Looks like you have a good plan for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I almost forgot I had The List of Things That Will Not Change on my Libro.fm account. I'll have to do a listen this time! I am eager to read American as Paneer Pie too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to the new Stead book and Parachutes sounds interesting. I didn't know that could happen with exchange students. Thanks, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parachutes is a new title for me -- sounds interesting, so I'll add it to my list (plus, I loved Front Desk). And I finished Reaper at the Gate months ago and really enjoyed it. I'll probably have to re-read (or at least skim) before the next book in the series, just to make sure I haven't forgotten anything important. Hope you have a wonderful and safe weekend, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clap When You Land is definitely one of my favorite reads of the year so far. Brilliant.
    I look forward to read Rebecca Stead's newest, and I still need to read Stamped.
    Parachutes is new and looks interesting--thank you for sharing.

    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete