Monday, April 13, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you go to my Goodreads account, you can see what I have read recently & click on the books to learn more.

Last week on the blog:

Last week in books:

And working from home clearly doesn't seem to provide me with more time. We even had a five day weekend for what they call our Spring Break, but I still only finished two books. They were good for this time in our lives. I read Just Feel: How to Be Stronger, Happier, Healthier and More. It's a really nice book about mindfulness and really provides exactly what the title says. I also read The Crossroads Between Should and Must: Find and Follow Your Passion for a book club with Jen Vincent through her Story Exploratory. We were looking into our passions and what next steps to take so we can actually follow them. It was nice to get together virtually to chat about the book and make some progress with our passion projects.

The Coming Week:

I am still reading quite a few books, I'm still re-listening to Stamped by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi while I read the original version. I'm a little over half way through the more than 500 page book that doubles as a doorstop. Actually I am using it to prop up the lid of our puzzle box so we can see the picture right now. So, it is an amazing piece of writing, but is also physically useful. I am also working through a digital copy of The Witch of Blackbird Pond. Dear Evan Hansen and Ways to Make Sunshine are both audio books, but I've actually been listening to podcasts so have paused those for now, but will likely start again soon. When I have moments here and there, I will read from the Mary Oliver book. I'm still plenty scattered, but am doing okay in this very strange time. Adding to the strangeness, it snowed for a good chunk of the day on Easter, so everything appears just a little out of the ordinary. Happy reading this week!

Reading Challenge Updates: 
#MustReadin2020 - 15/36
#YARC2020 - 20/55

6 comments:

  1. We had quite a bit of snow yesterday too. I am also doing the double listen-read of Reynolds's Stamped and Kendi's Stamped from the Beginning and learning so much. The Witch of Blackbird Pond was one of my very favorite books as a child; I reread it frequently then but have never revisited as an adult. Might be interesting to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking I need to add reading onto my daily list of things to accomplish. Thankfully I still listen to audiobooks, but I too am finding it challenging to sit down and focus. I've discovered that those beginning chapter books are about right for me know. I ended up relistening to False Value by Ben Aaronovitch until the library took it back. I love those characters so much it was like spending time with them.
    Stay safe and have a wonderful reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Q&A! Thank you for sharing :)
    I have Stamped to read and I want to read the new Watson and Dear Evan Hansen, but Schneider reading has started and my TBR is so big!
    Thank you as always for sharing amazing titles!

    Stay safe, and happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm rather scattered right now, too. With hubby sick and quarantined, I lack focus. It also snowed a lot here on Easter, too. That was a huge surprise since we've had such lovely warm temperatures! I need to go look up Just Feel and add it to my list. It's new to me and sounds like it might be a great one to share with my kiddos. Have a great rest of your week, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How does Witch of Blackbird Pond stand up nowadays? I read it as a kid and was impressed. When I do my bookclub with middle graders I like to ask if they can tell when a book was written, and how that affects the story; this works really well for historical books so they see the layers of history between the writer and the events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Witch of Blackbird Pond really does seem like it is historical fiction that could have been written yesterday. My only quibble is that the terminology and references to Indigenous people are not great which is not a big surprise. Otherwise, it really is a fantastic book.

      Delete