Sunday, March 15, 2015

{#sol15} Strawberry Moments 15/31

hosted by Two Writing Teachers

My mind is a jumble of memories today. My aunt sent me a packet of things she had found that belonged to my father: his birth certificate, some pictures, a college graduation announcement. He went to college when I was in elementary school. I remember his graduation being such a milestone. Now his things are spread out on the kitchen table - reminders that he isn't here. He's been gone for almost eighteen years now. 

We lived in Texas then and it was strawberry season. We had eaten strawberries together not long before he died. I don't remember our conversation that night, but I can almost smell the strawberries. It's an odd little memory, but it's one that persists. I'm thankful for happy thoughts among the sad.

5 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. The title at first intrigued me and now knowing the meaning behind it I know it's perfect. Or sense of smell can be or strongest memories. This is a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. The title at first intrigued me and now knowing the meaning behind it I know it's perfect. Or sense of smell can be or strongest memories. This is a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An envelope arrives and takes you back to another place and time period. Small things, but they are part of your story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sense of smell can evoke so many memories! Good ones, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "but I can smell the strawberries..." powerful memory. I hope you find more happy among the sad--bittersweet but it sounds like your heart is full of that love still.

    ReplyDelete