Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Review: Poison



Title: Poison
Author: Bridget Zinn
Publisher: Disney Press
Pages: 288
Audience: YA
Genre: Fantasy & Adventure
Review Copy: Purchased at Anderson's Bookshop
Release Date: March 19, 2013 (on shelves now)

Blurb from Publisher: Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she's the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom's future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart…misses.

Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king's army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she's not alone. She's armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can't stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?

Kyra is not your typical murderer, and she's certainly no damsel-in-distress—she's the lovable and quick-witted hero of this romantic novel that has all the right ingredients to make teen girls swoon.

Review: On her website, I read that Bridget wanted to make people laugh. She "hoped that her readers' copies would show the watermarks of many bathtime reads." I believe that she will meet that goal. As I was reading, I felt a smile creep across my face and laughter burst out over and over as Kyra stumbled into one ridiculous predicament after another. That smile also appeared as Kyra managed to outthink and outmaneuver those around her too. I look forward to re-reading this book many times especially if I need a little laughter in my life.

Zinn created a charming character who can hold her own with bad guys, bad gals, and all kinds of creatures. She is smart and strong, but also has the endearing habit of tripping herself up. Kyra is not the only charmer here though. The dog and pig certainly give her some competition there and the stranger she meets up with on her journey, Fred, has plenty too. Though the title sounds dangerous, the book itself is quite lighthearted and flirty. I recommend that you locate this book, read it, and share it with anyone who could use a smile.

About Bridget: I never met Bridget, but unfortunately, I never will. All I know of her, I learned on her blog right around the time of her death in 2011. I was so eager to finally read her book. Now I am certain that I would have loved to meet her. The book oozes joy and laughter and she must surely have shared that with those who were lucky enough to know her.

Extra: John Green's post about Poison.

1 comment:

  1. I want to like fantasy. I really do. But I just don't. Sigh. :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete