Sunday, April 21, 2013

It's Monday! What are you Reading?



Jen & Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts host a meme every Monday that invites people to share the children's and young adult books they have been reading over the past week and what they plan on reading the following week.

You may find more complete information about what I am reading at Goodreads or by clicking on the Goodreads widget along the side of my blog.

The Past Week:
Young Adult


I read Huntress first and then Ash and it didn't seem that it makes a difference for the order (that is the opposite of the publication dates) since they are companion books. I enjoyed both. I loved the uniqueness of the plots and the fairytale flavor. I am a sucker for fairytale re-tellings. Especially in this case since Malinda Lo adds more texture to the surroundings and depth to the characters. I also enjoyed reading the second book of the Tankborn series. I reviewed Awakening over at the blog Rich in Color. It is part of a great sci-fi series.

Graphic Novels


Netgalley was definitely my friend this week. I was able to read several graphic novels that I wouldn't have had access to otherwise. A Match Made in Heaven was quite a fun diversion. I did laugh out loud several times and had a smile on my face throughout. 

Saints and Boxers on the other hand was much more serious. I know that I have read novels that take place during the boxer rebellion at least several books by Pearl S. Buck, but otherwise I didn't have a ton of background knowledge about the time period. Afterward, I checked out Gene Luen Yang's blog and found out more about this tumultuous time. I will write a review about them both either here or on Rich in Color closer to the release in September.

Middle Grade


A Tangle of Knots was a fun and entertaining mystery that happened to include recipes. See my post from yesterday for more on that. 

Non-fiction


So creepy and icky!! Loved it. The Book of Blood is exactly what non-fiction should be: informational AND absorbing. Who knew that cockroaches can live up to several weeks after having their head severed? Maybe you, but not me. I now know things about blood that I never learned in school. It was pretty fascinating.

For the Coming Week:
I am listening to Legend by Marie Lu and I am reading The Savage Fortress. I still have a ton of books sitting by the bookshelf and I have no idea which ones will grab my attention this week. Have a great week of reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment