Monday, September 20, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to see more of my reading, visit my Goodreads shelves here

Blogpost from Last Week:

Books Read Last Week: 
I read A Neighborhood Walk: A Musical Journey by Pilar Winter Hill and illustrated by Olivia Duchess. This picture book is filled with sounds and once I realized it was written by a young musician, I fell down a YouTube rabbit hole. This first video introduces Pilar and her typical practice routine.

   

And in the video, you learn about Lindsey Stirling who is another amazing violinist. So of course, I had to track down one of her videos also. Wow. Just wow.

 

I did finish reading the ARC of the translated novel How Do You Live? and it is a pretty philosophical book. I really enjoyed it and will review it later. 

Halal Hot Dogs is a super fun family and food picture book. Humor and food are two of my favorite things in books. 

Tokyo Ever After was a fun YA rom-com that was similar to The Princess Diaries. It takes place in Japan and was a perfect weekend read.

Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 was my only adult book for the week, but it was pretty amazing and unforgettable. One of my favorite Korean actors was in the movie made from the book. I couldn't find the movie to watch, but it had such interesting comments in the reviews, I went ahead and found the translated book. It is a book that really examines some of the ways that societal expectations of women can impact people in many ways. I will be thinking about this one for a long time. Here's the movie trailer to give you an idea.
   

This book and the movie stirred up strong feelings in Korea around feminism and gender. Another video that discusses a little of that is here

The Coming Week: I'm in between books, but look forward to grabbing something fun from the stacks of books that just came at school. Have a great week. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm adding A Neighborhood Walk: A Musical Journey to my list, for sure! It will go great with my Music for the Classroom Teacher course. But, like you, I especially like it when books make me dig deeper to learn more about people. Thanks for sharing, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when a book is so intriguing you end up enhancing it with additional stuff like videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great set of books! A Neighborhood Walk, a Musical Journey sounds excellent, and Halal Hot Dogs sounds fun as well. And Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 sounds like such a powerful and unique read! Thanks so much for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just posted a long piece about what music brings to us on FB, & now see your own journey of music. The videos are wonderful, Crystal. When I taught, a few of us formed a book group & when we read a book that had food in it we would gather & create the dishes for our dinner. I wonder if Halal Hot Dogs would fit? Thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've added Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 to my list. I'm fascinated by anything Korean since I have a Korean daughter in law and half Korean grandchildren. When all this pandemic stuff is over, we are planning a trip to visit her family. I'm in the middle of The Silence of Bones by June Hur. I'm sure it was you who introduced me to her work. What a fascinating story.

    ReplyDelete