Sunday, July 19, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you go to my Goodreads account, you can see what I have read recently & click on the books to learn more.

What's been happening on the blog: 


Last two weeks in reading:
 

The Warmth of Other Suns was a long book, but it moved so quickly. Wilkerson has shared the story of the Great Migration through three distinct voices in addition to information informed by many, many other personal stories and an extraordinary amount of research. She wove it together in a very compelling narrative. 

I also read a few picture books over the past few weeks. Two were about the outdoors. Hike is a nice wordless picture book with a nice little twist at the end. The Camping Trip is a cute one and is in a graphic novel type of structure. Elbow Grease vs. Motozilla is not exactly my cup of tea, but I know some students who will love it. Fun trucks and a giant monster machine will be just the things for some of my readers. Kaia and the Bees is a sweet one. (couldn't help myself there) Kaia's family keeps bees up on the roof, but she's a bit afraid of them. 

Alphamaniacs has 26 brief stories of folks who have done amazing things with words. Some of the stories are standouts, but many are not as interesting. I'm not quite sure who this is aimed for and don't think I'll get it for my elementary school. It's too long and not as entrancing as it would need to be for all of those pages with young ones. 

Cilla Lee-Jenkins: This Book is a Classic is another cute chapter book in the series. Cilla has a fun voice. 

Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows was more adult than I expected. I know the title was a clue, but I thought they would allude to the stories, but there are some stories shared that are definitely very adult and intimate. The book does revolve around the stories, but it is really more about the women. I quite enjoyed it.

The Coming Week:

I'm still working my way through Making Comics. I've started another book by Pema Chodron called Taking the Leap. I'm reading an ARC of a YA called Elatsoe. I'm listening to Song Below Water and accidentally started reading The One and Only Bob. Happy reading!

Reading Challenge Updates: 

3 comments:

  1. The Warmth of Other Suns is on my to read list, but I'm not sure when I'll get to it. I've added it to my MustRead list for next year in case I don't get to it this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book selection looks great!
    https://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/its-monday-what-are-you-reading9834347

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books sound great! I've seen a lot of praise for The Camping Trip and Kaia and the Bees. I have a relative that just read and enjoyed The Warmth of Other Suns—it sounds excellent! Also, I don't know how I forgot to read The One and Only Bob, considering I loved The One and Only Ivan! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete