Monday, March 30, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you go to my Goodreads account, you can see what I have read recently & click on the books to learn more.

On the Blog:

Last week in books:

The Only Black Girls in Town is a nice middle grade friendship/mystery that I listened to on Libro.fm. I'm really loving their Teacher account with Advanced Listening Copies. I read Parable of the Sower (adult/YA) and of course saw many connections to our current world. It's a dystopian parable that Octavia Butler wrote back in the early 90s. She hit a few things on the head. After that book, which does have somewhat of a hopeful ending, I still needed something lighter. So I read the novella The Gentleman's Guide to Getting Lucky (YA) which is quite full of hilarity as are the others in the series. Next up was Leah on the Offbeat (YA) which is a companion to Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. It had many fun moments along with a little friendship drama. I went back to a little more serious fare with Clap When You Land, a YA novel in verse, which was inspired by the crash of flight 587 two months after 9/11 (ARC via publisher). I also got to read a few picture books. None of them are out yet and I read them via Edelweiss and Netgalley. I'll review them sometime soon.

I also watched two authors read their newest picture books: We Are Water Protectors and When We Are Kind.



The Coming Week: I've just started the middle grade novel Ways to Make Sunshine and I still have quite a few books from the library. Happy reading!

Reading Challenge Updates: 
#MustReadin2020 - 15/36
#YARC2020 - 20/55

3 comments:

  1. I just checked out The Only Black Girls in Town on Overdrive and am hoping to be able to start that by next weekend. I enjoyed your book review of I'm Banned Book Club and am adding it to my reading list -- I really like graphic memoirs and this one is new to me. My daughter loved Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, so I should probably get her a copy of Leah on the Offbeat to read while she's feeling so secluded from all her friends. :) Thanks for all these wonderful shares, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh shit. For the second time today I accidentally clicked on a link here and ended up losing everything I had already written. I'm not doing it again. Just thanks for the information about all these books and especially for introducing me to Libro.fm. I love audiobooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had that happen so many times Cheriee. I know that frustration. Audio is awesome.

      Delete