Sunday, June 16, 2019

Family Birthday Cake



Baking with Family

I have learned how to cook and bake from quite a few different people. My mother and grandmother were likely the first ones to teach me. The family where I was a nanny taught me some of their recipes too. As an adult, my mother-in-law has also shared many recipes while we cooked and baked together. I'd like to share this recipe because the other day I couldn't find the recipe card at first. I was in a bit of a panic as I needed to back the cake for a celebration later in the day. With the recipe posted here, anyone can find it when they need it - even me.

Family Birthday Cake

4 egg yolks, 1 whole egg
1 1/2 c butter
2 c sugar
4 c unbleached flour

Heat over to 350 degrees. Sift flour into large bowl. Make a well in the flour. Pour in sugar. Mix yolks and whole egg with the sugar in the center. Cut butter into chunks over sugar mixture. Cover with flour from the sides and mix in with your hands. Kneed until smooth. Divide dough into six portions. Form into 9" cookies (use a rolling pin or hands and to make them uniform, I usually lay a plate on top and trim the edges, but my mother-in-law bakes it before trimming). Prick with a fork before baking so they do not bubble up. Bake each cookie for 7-9 minutes (lightly brown - watch that the edges don't get too crunchy). Let cool on cookie sheet for one minute before removing to cooling rack. When cookies are completely cooled, decorate with whipped cream mixture below.

Whipped cream:
1 pint whipping cream
1 cup chopped almonds or hazelnuts
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c sugar

Whip cream with sugar and vanilla. Reserve 3/4 c of the whipped cream. Fold nuts into remaining whipped cream. Make a layered cake alternating cookies and whipped cream mixture. Use cream without nuts as the topping. Decorate as you wish or not at all. My mother-in-law would trim the edges off the cookies after baking and use those pieces of cookie to decorate. You may also use sliced nuts. 

Cover with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated until ready to eat. Refrigerate leftovers. I suggest you serve smaller than normal potions and let people get seconds if desired. It is very rich and a small  portion is plenty.

If you hadn't noticed, this is basically giant sugar cookies sandwiched together with whipping cream. As you can imagine it is pretty yummy. Let me know if you try to make it. I'm going to go have a slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment