Monday, January 21, 2019

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

Last Week on the Blog: 





#ClassroomBookaday




First grade: Staying Safe Online

I was on the Charlotte Zolotow Award committee and this week the winner and honor books were announced. The winner was Little Brown by Marla Frazee and the honor books were Honey and Saturday is Swimming Day. We also decided on a highly commended list of nine more. Here are the full results.

Reading at Home
 

Pride is a modern day Jane Austen re-telling and was fabulous.  I was wanting something fun and it was perfect. The Field Guide to the North American Teenager was also fun, but in a different way. The main character is a bit on the snarky side. Young Gifted and Black is a nice collection of one-page bios of famous and not so famous black people. A Page in the Wind was an okay picture book, but I likely won't remember it in two weeks. The Bell Rang is an incredible picture book about a family that is enslaved. Adventures to School shows a variety of ways children get to school around the world. All the Stars Denied is an excellent look into Texas history during the depression (see review above). Furthermore is a middle grade stand-alone fantasy. I had trouble getting into it last year. It was on my MustReadin2018 list, but I gave up. This time, I tried the audio and it was great that way. Binti was another from my MustReadin2018 list that I hadn't gotten to, but I'm glad I picked it up this year. It's a sci-fi novella and is fantastic. I also finished Life of Miracles Along the Yangtze and Mississippi. It's a memoir by a poet from China. She is full of stories and shares herself and stories of others in a chatty kind of way. What is Given from the Heart is a very sweet picture book about sharing and community.

The Coming Week: 

I'm reading these right now and will hope to finish all three along with a few picture books. Happy reading!

Reading Challenge Updates: 
Goodreads Challenge 2019 - 25/550
Diversity on the Shelf 2019 - 19/275
#MustReadin2019 - 5/30

4 comments:

  1. I really want to read both The Bell Rang and We Are Not Yet Equal. Both look like very important books. Thank you for sharing your reading week, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you are the 3rd one sharing The Bell Rang, somehow missed recently, but thanks for all the Zolotow winners and commended. As for the book-a-day, I've read most, loved So Tall Within and will look for Sisters and Champions. Thanks, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just picked up Little Brown by Marla Frazee from the library. Now I am more excited to read it. Pride is on my list. I even had it out of the library once, but had too many books to read at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I m so glad to visit this blog.This blog is really so amazing

    ReplyDelete