Monday, August 20, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

The Past Weeks on the Blogs:
 


The Past Week in Books:
 
 
I have been reading picture books like mad, but it's for a book award so I feel a bit awkward talking about them online. So far this year, I've read more than 250 for the award. Aside from all of that, I've read books for Rich in Color (see above links) and then a few graphic novels. Active Voice is an interesting memoir style GN for older teens or adults. Molly Danger is a fun younger comic. Exquisite Corpse is for older teens and adults and was funny in a slightly twisted way.



The Coming Week: 
I'm starting An American Marriage and am already reading The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street. I'm not sure how much reading I will accomplish as I will be in Chicago for part of the week with my sister and will pick up our Korean exchange student on Saturday. It's an exciting week for us. Have a great week full of reading.

Reading Challenge Updates: 
Goodreads Challenge 2018 - 402/800
Diversity on the Shelf 2018 - 132/300
#MustReadin2018 - 18/30

9 comments:

  1. Active Voice looks like one I need to own! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy Vanderbeekers. Such a sweet, fun family adventure with a feel-good ending. I'll be really interested in hearing what you think of An American Marriage (I've not read it, yet -- just hearing lots from others). I know how those busy weeks can keep me from reading much, but I still hope you find joy in whatever you can get to. Have a wonderful week, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an exciting week! Enjoy your new guest, Crystal. I'll look for Our Stories, Our Voices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street on my list and even got a copy home from the library but never had time to read it. I think it will have to go on my must read list for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really excited to read Our Stories, Our Voices. I don't think I've heard of Active Voice, but it sounds right up my alley, so I'll have to check it out. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twisted is definitely the adjective for Exquisite Corpses!
    Loved your review of Our Stories, Our Voices!
    Enjoy your exchange student! My family had siblings when I was in college, and it is such a cool experience!

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read A Thousand Beginnings. I had it from the library but never had a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our Stories, Our Voices looks amazing. I've been wanting to read it. I really appreciated your full review. With the #OwnVoices movement, this is the perfect text. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been meaning to get my hands on Vanderbeekers for the longest time - it's been on my radar. I do own a copy of Exquisite Corpse - I hope to get to it eventually hahaha. :) And yes, I will have to find Our Stories, Our Voices too - enjoy your coming weeks with your exchange student! :)

    ReplyDelete