Monday, October 30, 2017

It's Monday! What are you reading?

 

It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

Last Week on the Blog:


Last Week in Books:


This week I encountered a lot of death in my reading. All four YA/Adult novels dealt with death and a few of the picture books did too. I really enjoyed They Both Die at the End as I expected. Adam Silvera has written some very intriguing and unique novels that always surprise me and make me cry. Long Way Down was amazing - also as expected. Jason Reynolds has a wonderful way with words. I'm excited to be going to see him speak later this week! It's a novel in verse about a young man's reaction to the shooting death of his brother. The Day Tajon Got Shot was written in a workshop by ten young women. It is about a police officer shooting a black teen boy and is told from many perspectives. Station Eleven was a dystopian novel and it was pretty fascinating thinking about how a deadly pandemic could change our world in a short amount of time.

Stay and Big Cat, Little Cat were about the death of pets and both were sweet, but allow for discussion about how we see our animals age.

Of the other picture books, I most enjoyed One Proud Penny, Take Your Time, and All the Way to Havana

Karma Khullar's Mustache was a wonderful middle grade dealing with friendship, family, and body image.

The Coming Week: Today I started reading How Dare the Sun Rise. I also need to re-read The Hate U Give, Ghost and Aristotle and Dante for the adult Battle of the Books team I am on next month. I will start working on those. I still have quite a few others checked out, but I'm not sure what I'll grab next.


Reading Challenge Updates:
Goodreads Challenge 2017 - 590/550
Diversity on the Shelf 2017 - 212/225 (goal = 50% of my books by and/or about POC)
#OwnVoices Challenge - 122/125
#MustReadin2017 - 21/24

5 comments:

  1. I am green with envy that you get to meet Jason Reynolds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got Long Way Down, can't wait to start it. I liked Stay and Big Cat, Little Cat a lot, and Station Eleven was a book that started my imagination. Thanks, Crystal, other books new to me are on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long Way Down is one that I need to reread because I had an intriguing conversation on Twitter about it and the ending, so now I need to reread!
    They Both Die at the End is a must read for me--I love Silvera's writing!
    Next to All the Way to Havana, I didn't know any of the others--thanks for the introduction :)

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just sent Karma Khullar's Mustache. Looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete