Monday, September 18, 2017

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

Last Week on the Blog:
Last Week in Books:






I've read quite a few picture books again this week. The ones are above stood out the most. The Purloining of Prince Oleomargarine was amusing and also extremely unique. Philip & Erin Stead really captured the humor of Mark Twain in this collaboration. La La La is another interesting collaboration. It's an absolutely gorgeous book that grows in beauty with each read. I read three picture book biographies and they were very well done. I learned things in each book and I'm eager to share them. I especially loved learning that in his classification system, Karl Linneas created a class called Paradoxa for those animals that may or may not exist like unicorns. A Greyhound A Groundhog is a fabulous tongue twister that begs to be read aloud. Rapunzel has a wonderful twist and made me smile.

The Coming Week:
I'm continuing to read tons of picture books for a committee I am on and am loving the opportunity. I am reading an adult book for a book club, You're the Only One I Can Tell, about women and friendships. I'm not sure what else I will get to this week. Have a great week of reading!

Reading Challenge Updates:
Goodreads Challenge 2017 - 525/550
Diversity on the Shelf 2017 - 198/225 (goal = 50% of my books by and/or about POC)
#OwnVoices Challenge - 112/125
#MustReadin2017 - 21/24

7 comments:

  1. I'm reading Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship by Michelle Kuo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. La La La intrigued me. I meant to request it and forgot! Your description made me even more intrigued. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Little Red by Bethan Woolvin. I'll have to check out Rapunzel when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got the Mark Twain book on hold at the library!
    I need more time with La La La! I hope that Jamie Kim gets attention for it. I know it will be referenced as a Kate DiCamillo book, but Kim's artwork is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Akilah - love the paradoxa category. I'm especially looking forward to reading the Dorothea Lange title.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm intrigued by Rapunzel now!
    And I agree with Michele about La La La!

    ReplyDelete