Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Vacation Reading



I am enjoying my vacation in Montana. From the porch I can stare at Mt. Republic when I pause in my reading. We've stayed here with family before so I knew there would be many shelves of books to read and looked forward to dipping into those. Last time I found Kahlil Gibran and A River Runs Through It along with Death in Yellowstone and many children's books related to Montana, Wyoming and Yellowstone. 

I brought several books, but have already exhausted my small supply (West of the Moon, Shadow Throne, and Mambo in Chinatown) so now I am digging into books that I typically wouldn't choose. I didn't do my normal It's Monday post, but you can stop by my Goodreads shelf to see what I have found so far on our trip. I am reading Crossing Open Ground by Barry Lopez and have The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig waiting in the wings. I look at it as a way of expanding my horizons when I read from someone else's bookshelf. 

If I don't find anything that works, there is a trading post one mile away that has two shelves of books that are $2 each or free if you trade. There is no library or bookstore, but there is one more location for free books. The town dump is rather fun. You take your trash there, but they also have a recycling bin for aluminum, another bin for old clothes and a series of shelves for books. People are encouraged to leave them there for others and choose some for themselves. 

I could purchase some electronic books, but I think I am going to go ahead and stretch my reading muscles with new authors and genres. Wish me luck. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment