Monday, September 14, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading?

 It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you go to my Goodreads account, you can see what I have read recently & click on the books to learn more.

Last week on the blog:

Review: Apple: Skin to the Core at Rich in Color

Last week in reading:

Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop was a sweet adult romance with a dash of magic.

This is My Brain in Love was a YA rom-com and it made me smile. 

The Assignment was the book this week that was most amazing. It's a contemporary YA and really dealt with this idea some folks have that we need to see and understand all sides of something. A teacher gives an assignment requiring students to argue the opinions of the Nazis who were dealing with the "Jewish problem." There is a lot to think about here. It was very well written.

The Talk was also one that will stick with me. It's a collection of essays/short stories from a wide variety of folks that share ways to talk to young people about race, identity and self-esteem. 

Bloom is a YA graphic novel about a young man working in his family's bakery and is figuring out what he wants to do with his life. Someone had commented on my blog post about books with food and recommended this one. 

The Coming Week: 
I'm still reading A Map to the Sun and did make a little bit of progress this week. I've started reading Cemetery Boys and am reading The Situation and the Story. It's hard to know if I'll read a lot or not this week. School is stressful and busy, but that actually sometimes means that I need some escapist reading to balance it out and sometimes it means I'm too exhausted to read. 

Reading Challenge Updates: 
#MustReadin2020 - 28/36
#YARC2020 - 58/55
Muslimshelfspace - 23/30

4 comments:

  1. Will look for The Assignment and Bloom, Crystal. Do you know about The Wave, long ago assignment that went viral, even before social media? Here's a link: https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2017/03/17/the-wave-that-changed-history My students read about it & held discussions as to how it became a movement! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to learn about The Assignment. I just checked all my local options and we don't have it, yet. So I may have to spring for this one on my own. Have a great week, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information about these books Crystal. I really appreciated reading about Apple: Skin to the Core, and have added it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thrilled you decided to read Bloom! I just finished it, so I'll have a review of it next week. (Also, I saw that you loved Relish—that's so neat that the recipes are actually useful!) I've heard about Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop—it sounds great! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete