Monday, October 7, 2019

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you go to my Goodreads account, you can see what I have read recently & click on the books to learn more.

Last week in books: 



There were a lot of great books in my hands this past week. Here are the ones that stood out:

Under the Broken Sky by Mariko Nagai - Historical novel in verse (ARC via Netgalley)
Does it Fart? by Nick Caruso and Dani Rabaiotti - funny NF PB about farts
The Dragon Thief by Zetta Elliott - sequel to Dragons in a bag - fun early chap book fantasy
The Line Tender by Kate Allen - middle grade look at grief and sharks
Who Are You Calling Weird? by Marilyn Singer is an engaging NF PB about strange animals
A Match Made in Mehendi by Nandini Bajpai is a fun YA rom com
Spencer's New Pet by Jessie Sima is quite a unique PB
IntersectionAllies by Chelsea Johnson, LaToya Council, Carolyn Choi - is a NF PB & would be a fantastic conversation starter about intersectionality and ways to be allies and support each other.
Zenobia July by Lisa Bunker - a middle grade novel about a trans girl with serious computer skills who has relocated and is finding friends and working on family relationships.
Sadiq and the Desert Star by Siman Nuurali is an early chapter book about a boy developing an interest in astronomy
A Boy Like You by Frank Murphy is a celebration and lifting up of boys and the wide varieties of being a boy

The Coming Week:

I'll be reading When You Ask Me Where I'm Going by Jasmin Kaur for a review next week. I am still reading Mindful of Race and Waking Up White for two different groups I'm part of so those will be on my list for many weeks since we go slowly. Have a great week!

Reading Challenge Updates: 
Goodreads Challenge 2019 - 758/550
Diversity on the Shelf 2019 - 268/275
#MustReadin2019 - 21/30

4 comments:

  1. I loved A Boy Like You and Intersection Allies, others, too, Crystal. Thanks for the ones I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a number of books on your list that I want to read! I was at KidsBooks here in Vancouver today and should have looked for A Boy Like You as a gift for my grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm adding Zenobia July to my list. Its new-to-me, so thanks for sharing! There really aren't that many middle grade books that include transgender characters. Have a wonderful reading week, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of good books here -- that's for alerting me to the next Dragons in a Bag book.

    ReplyDelete