Sunday, November 5, 2017

It's Monday! What are you reading?

 

It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

Last Week in Books:

 
I re-read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and really enjoyed it again. I listened to some of it so I could savor the sound of Lin-Manuel Miranda reading it and saying Alexander Hamilton, but then I finished it off with the hard copy. I also re-read Ghost by Jason Reynolds. Both of the re-reads were in preparation for a Battle of the Books competition I am in later this month. There are four of us on our team and we're pretty excited. I was also happy to read Ghost the same week I got to see Jason Reynolds speak again. He's a wonderful speaker and really challenged me as a teacher to know my students.

Of all the picture books, Malala's Magic Pencil stood out the most. She did a fabulous job of connecting the magic pencil to our ability to tell our own stories and make our voices heard. 

The Fox Wish was precious and Lines by Suzy Lee is another great wordless book.

Real Friends was fantastic. I'm happy to find another great memoir in graphic novel format. It's so easy to relate to and it definitely reminded me of my younger days.

The Coming Week: I'll be finishing up Marrow Thieves and will be re-reading The Hate U Give for my Battle of the Books team competition coming up soon. I'm also still reading How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child.

Reading Challenge Updates:
Goodreads Challenge 2017 - 617/550
Diversity on the Shelf 2017 - 217/225 (goal = 50% of my books by and/or about POC)
#OwnVoices Challenge - 126/125
#MustReadin2017 - 21/24

5 comments:

  1. Your Battle of the Books sounds awesome, Crystal. Does this mean you & your team will have to 'defend' those books? I need to get Malala's Magic Pencil, and enjoyed The Fox Wish a lot. Thanks for sharing all. I have a few you've shown, read some, need to read others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Battle is more like a trivia contest and we have to show how much we know about each of the books.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I agree - I was very pleasantly surprised with the Malala book. Seems like so many of those get commercialized, I loved the authentic voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your re-reads are fantastic! I would love to reread some of these titles! Always so busy trying to keep up with the latest titles. Fantastic picture books this week. I also loved Lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE BATTLE OF THE BOOKS! You are going to have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete