Sunday, March 12, 2017

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

Last Week on the Blog:
at Rich in Color

Last Week in Books: 
Adult Nonfiction
Bad Feminist is an excellent collection of essays that generally center around feminism and what it means to be a woman. It offers a lot of food for thought. Like Roxane Gay, I do not believe we can be a perfect feminist. Many people will not fit someone's definition of a perfect feminist. We are probably all seen as a bad feminist by someone.
 
The New Jim Crow would pair well with the documentary 13th by Ava DuVernay. It's hard to read because many things about our criminal justice system seem so horrifying and also entrenched. There is some hopefulness, but there is so much work to do to change things.
 
Picture Books
 
The standout picture books of the week - 
Speaking of feminism, I'm a Girl! really points out that there is not just one way to express being a girl. The main character is consistently called a boy throughout the book and keeps letting people know that things like playing in the mud and being loud are awesome and they are a girl.
 
I enjoyed reading about Zora Neal Hurston in Zora Hurston and the Chinaberry Tree. This book also shows a young girl who is interested in things not generally considered to be "girlish." Zora's mother encourages her to follow her dreams though. 

This Bridge Will Not Be Gray is a simple narrative about how the Golden Gate Bridge came to be and why it is such a unique color. Having been to San Francisco many times, I found this to be very interesting. It's also fun for the architecture aspect.
 
The Coming Week:
I have a few books from the library waiting for me: The Only Road and Flygirl. I also want to get to Rad Women Worldwide for Women's History Month. I heard the author over on the Nerdette podcast last week. Have a great week filled with books!

Reading Challenge Updates:
Goodreads Challenge 2017 - 131/550
Diversity on the Shelf 2017 - 69/225 (goal = 50% of my books by and/or about POC)
#OwnVoices Challenge - 42/125
#MustReadin2017 - 11/24

9 comments:

  1. Some of these picture books are familiar to me. I like the Golden Gate Bridge book a lot. I'm a girl sounds like an important book for my new grandbaby to be.
    I'm interested in bad feminist, but have to get to Here We Are: feminism for the real world first. Happy reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read Here We Are. It's excellent.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed This Bridge Will Not Be Gray, new information! Will find I'm A Girl and The Only Road. Thanks, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad Feminist sounds fascinating - it's amazing how incredibly emotionally charged the word "feminist" can be, and the many different ways it can be interpreted and experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the lines in The Bridge Will Not Be Gray made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now on the lookout for I am A Girl Thanks for the great list as usual

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flygirl by Sherri Smith? I have mixed feelings about it, so I'll be interested in hearing your take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often see it on African American History lists or Women's History lists so I thought it was one I should check out. I'll be interested in hearing your perspective after too.

      Delete
  7. I only just got my own copy of Kindred, the graphic novel, and I am soooo looking forward to reading it soonest.

    ReplyDelete